Installing a steering stabilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
For an illustrated explanation of how I installed a Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer on our Monaco Camelot, click on the Library button in the toolbar above, then select Tech topics and select Steering stabilizer installation.

Can't see the Library button? You need to register for an account and log into the forum.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
The extensions themselves were el cheapo Ron, aka 'made in China'. I didn't really need them and attached the socket directly to the long bar, but still couldn't budge those nuts. The impact wrench was fast and easy. BTW I didn't mention they were 1 1/8 inch nuts.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
Oops, forgot to include a photo of the switch. Done.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
Thanks Terry. I'm taking lessons from Betty  :)
 

DonJordan

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
353
Interesting message and photos, Tom.  Looks like a job well done  ;D.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
Thanks Don. I had some help, and Blue Ox makes it really easy.
 

DonJordan

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
353
I'll be interested to hear how your steering stabilizer works out for you. ???
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
Appeared to work fine on the short trip around the block Don. We'll be leaving on a trip shortly, so I'll let you know how it works out.
 

DonJordan

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
353
Tom,

I'd like to hear how it works out on those long freeway hauls where you are just crusing down the highway trying to stay in your own lane in heavy cross winds, etc.  ;D
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
That's what I bought it for Don  :) Chris does most of the driving, so I'll find out in a hurry if it's not working  :)
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
Tom said:
That's what I bought it for Don? :) Chris does most of the driving, so I'll find out in a hurry if it's not working? :)

Does that mean you may be reworking the Steering Stabilizer at Moab if your driver isn't happy with it. ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
No need to rework it Ron. Just press the button to re-center it  ;D  On-the-road quick-fixes have a habit of being semi-permanent. Just today I finally got around to replacing the "temporary" electrical hookup I put on the front of the Burb at Moab last year.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
Tom said:
No need to rework it Ron. Just press the button to re-center it? ;D? On-the-road quick-fixes have a habit of being semi-permanent. Just today I finally got around to replacing the "temporary" electrical hookup I put on the front of the Burb at Moab last year.

Aren't you kinda rushing replacement of the temporary fix Tom after all it hasn't even been a year yet. ;D ;D ;D ???
 

jerryarlyne

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Posts
628
Location
Palmdale, CA.
DonJordan said:
Tom,

I'd like to hear how it works out on those long freeway hauls where you are just crusing down the highway trying to stay in your own lane in heavy cross winds, etc.? ;D

Hi Don,
I put one on about 18 months ago and really like it. I just drove from Yuma to Palmdale on Saturday and had a pretty good crosswind on I-10 and I-15. Like Tom said, just steer into the wind and push the button and no more holding the wheel over, It just goes straight down the road. Blue Ox has a real winner IMHO.

Jerry ray
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
48,512
LOL Ron, I am getting a little ahead of myself  ;D
 

DonJordan

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
353
jerryarlyne said:
Hi Don,
I put one on about 18 months ago and really like it. I just drove from Yuma to Palmdale on Saturday and had a pretty good crosswind on I-10 and I-15. Like Tom said, just steer into the wind and push the button and no more holding the wheel over, It just goes straight down the road. Blue Ox has a real winner IMHO.

Jerry ray

Thanks for that info, Jerry.  I'm going to bee in Harrisburg, OR at the Monico repair facility to have a leaking slide-out fixed an the front end checked and adjusted in July.  I'll see how the cocach handles after the front end check/alignment.  I may possibly think about getting one of those Blue Ox steering stabilizers at that point.
 

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Posts
18,082
Location
Home is where we park it
There is a stabilzer called Howard that is excellent.  I think Ron M. Had one on his previous coach.  Maybe he can give some details.
 
Top Bottom