Installing Aftermarket Captain's Chairs With Integrated 3-Point Seat Belt In Older RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigabytejr

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1987 Class A Winnebego Chieftan (Model M-22RC). The RV only has lap seat belts in the driver and passenger seats but I'd really like to add 3-point seat belts if possible.

After doing some digging it seems that isn't necessarily recommended if the RV wasn't built for them though as they won't have anchors to properly (and safely) mount the seat belt onto. I reached out to Winnebago to see if they had any info on installing 3-point/shoulder strap seat belts in this particular model and they said "As shoulder strap seat belts were not a factory installation, we would not have any specific advice or recommendations for this modification." which makes sense as I'd imagine if they could be added then they would already be in there.

While digging around some more I found a few online stores that sell Captain Chairs with a 3-point seat belt built into the seat like this one. On the same page they have a disclaimer that says "Seats with Integrated Seat Belts are only for RV’s with prior DOT Test Approvals for Seats with Integrated Shoulder Seat Belts". Is there a source online I can check to see if my RV fits that bill? I'm guessing I'm out of luck and will have to stick with the lap seat belts but I figured I'd ask just in case!

Thank you!

It's likely a big liability issue for the mamufactures of aftermarket equipment. It's a do it on your own thing, I believe.

The problem would be the reinforcement for the third leg of the three point is the wall, and no reinforcement has been installed in the wall per the year of manufacture..>>>Dan ( It just comes with the territory.)

The problem, besides liability, is that walls of RVs are mostly foam and plastic, so there is nothing to fasten a seat or shoulder belt to safely. during manufacturing, if they plan to add something like a shelf or seat belt, they beef up that specific location, but they don't do it with the entire side or bottom of the RV. This means adding anything like a shoulder or seat belt would not be safe because it could pull out during an accident.

Ah those are all excellent points! I figured I'd have to just use the lap belts and call it a day but wanted to double-check in case there was something I may have overlooked.

Thanks for the information everyone, I really appreciate it!

It's a matter of federal safety guidelines during the manufacturing process, and that follows the chassis (Chevrolet in your case) since the front belts would have been installed and crash tested at that phase... before the truck frame was delivered to Winnebago to have the motorhome body installed. Apparently in 1987, that truck chassis was not federally mandated to have the lap/shoulder combo belts... so they weren't included. For the same reason, there probably won't be sufficient anchors to add that feature.

Here's the good news from a safety perspective. You are MUCH less likely to be involved in any serious crash in an RV. You are much heavier, sitting higher, and traveling slower than all surrounding traffic. You'll accelerate slower, change lanes less frequently, and have better visibility to slow down gradually. RV travel is usually done during the daytime, in nicer weather, when traffic is lighter. All of those factors greatly reduce serious injury potential while RVing.

With that seat there is no need for anchoring to a wall. As long as it could be mounted to the floor it should not matter

Back
Top Bottom