Installing flooring tile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randyf

Our 2006 Allegro Bus has the tile center isle with carpet on sides.  Would like to remove the carpet and replace it with tile.  I have laid floor and wall tile in my home but it doesn't travel on roads and hit pot holes.  Was wondering if anyone had tackeled this before and would have some advice for me. 

There are a number of articles in the remodeling section from members who have done various kinds of tile replacement, very successfully. Member Ernie Eckberg here is a professional RV floor installer and always passes along great information and is a super resource.

There are several tricks to the trade because of the potential flexing of the tiles but they are well documented.

We have ceramic tile in our coach and could not be more pleased after having carpet/wood in the previous unit.

Finding the same tile color and match is going to be difficult. And matching the height to the original would be another challenge. Can you post a photo?
Can this topic be moved to the remodeling section?

I suspect you might be better served by replacing all of the tile rather than trying to match. We used Allure on our last MH with very good results.

Ernie.

Ernie n Tara said:
I suspect you might be better served by replacing all of the tile rather than trying to match. We used Allure on our last MH with very good results.

Ernie.
I used Allure in my last 2 trailers. We love it. It's beautiful, easy to work with and clean..... I did learn one thing. Floor prep is essential. The allure didn't stick very well on the 1st trailer. On the 2nd one, I cleaned the floor with acetone, sanded, cleaned with acetone again then laid down a coat of primer. The Allure stuck much better to the primer than the bare (clean) aluminum floor.

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie.
Thats what I was thinking, also- from another Ernie

Thanks a bunch for all the information.  I hadn't thought about the Allure flooring.  Had been planning on using laminate wood or ceramic but went to Lowes and looked at the Allure and was impressed.  I understand that you have to leave the carpet under the driver and passanger seat which means you have to cut the carpet behind each seat.  At that point how do you make a neat junction between the carpet and the new flooring. 

We bought our moldings from Lowes when we got the Allure. Incidentally, the Allure is a floating tile and does not require adhesive be used; just double sided tape at the edge (I did use tape wherever it seemed approptiate).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
We bought our moldings from Lowes when we got the Allure. Incidentally, the Allure is a floating tile and does not require adhesive be used; just double sided tape at the edge (I did use tape wherever it seemed approptiate).

Ernie
There must be more than one type of Allure flooring. I was referring to the thick vinyl, imitation wood (peel & stick).

Attachments

• NewFloor 004a.jpg
    NewFloor 004a.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 96
  • NewFloor 007a.jpg
    NewFloor 007a.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 86
  • NewFloor 006a.jpg
    NewFloor 006a.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 90
The tile we used is about 24 by 36 inches and overlaps two inches on all four sides; two over snd two under. The result is a solid, waterproof sheet of vinyl.

Ernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilkid2025
Back
Top Bottom