Installing inverter remote switch, new RV.. drill a hole, where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Hello all, after getting all your replies on our new RV solar OTG keystone package, I have figured out how to run our system.. well kinda.. it is charging good now, etc.

So, Xantrex freedom x 2000 inverter installed in storage compartment. It is installed in ceiling of storage, under bed.

Going to buy remote panel with 25 foot cord.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIAxAQ&usg=AOvVaw3agShfu6iOgOrvdMJZnpPX.

suggestions for someone who has never drilled hole in any of our Rvs let alone... my new one, 45 days old...
Thinking of just running up to where bed is and put panel by the nightstand...
Start from top up and drill down or drill from inside storage up... ??? I am not wanting to wait till we get home in May to do... turning inverter off at night and on in am is getting old... and I heard from a xantrex dealer that they still need to tweak Bluetooth one... so... need your advice!

Always scary when drilling holes in an RV, makes you feel like you are damaging it.
My advise is to look at your intended route and see if there are any existing cables or pipes nearby that you could follow. If not, then measure up very carefully from top and bottom to decide where to drill. Have a good look around your intended drilling point for switches, outlets, water points, or heating ducts that could be in the way. Once you are sure all is clear start with the smallest drill bit and drill slowly. Watch the swarf for the slightest change in colour or texture that might indicate you are drilling into something other than wood. Once you have a pilot hole all the way through, try probing around with a thin stiff piece of wire like an unfolded metal coat hook or welders wire to see if there is anything close that you might just have been lucky to miss drilling, before you open the hole up to suit.
I was lucky when I fitted our solar panel. Where I intended to route the wiring off the roof I would have drilled into the AC duct. It was only because I dropped a light fitting to see in the roof void that I saw it first then noticed the vents were all in a line.
Look, look and look again is the best advice.
TonyL

Forgot to say, whether drilling up or down, floor will probably be 1/2 or 5/8. After that drill should suddenly push in easy. If it doesn't then you are probably drilling into support framework.

You might look for a 'I don't need to drill" route.. For example you have pipes or hoses the go from the wet bay to the inside... Then you have a cable run the connects all the stoarge bays.. So first wrap the RJ-plug with a bit of heat shrink tube (Horrible Freight has an assortement) and shrink it to protect the break off locking tab. Then push/pull (HF also has a handy puller tool) the line to the existing hole. the hole is sealed with expanding foam so you will need to push through it with a tool (Screwdriver or drill a long one) and then pull the cable up through the hole which will re-seal (it is foam after all) around the wire. Continue to pull to where you want the remote and mount it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom