Insulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweak

Tried this one in the newcomers section and got zero replys :( Here I go again new day new forum.
The question is, just how well are motor homes insulated and are some better than others and if so which ones are the best. Most mobile homes are constructed with 2x3 studs so they do have room for insulation. I live in upstate NY where it can get down to -26 degrees and there are lots of mobile homes around. I know most RVers chase the sun and go south for the winter but to be truly flexible one should not have to do it that way.  :)
Thanks

Motor homes are not anywhere near as well insulated as a house, even a mobile home.  They are usually good for temps in low 20s or so for short periods, but even then you need dual pane windows and heated bays.  They aren't intended for extended cold weather (below freezing) use.

I agree with Ned. However, there are RVers who stay at ski resorts (use a lot of fuel, though!) and other cold places for extended periods.  Teton Homes supposedly makes an excellent cold weather rig and some of the Canadian brands are supposed to be better than average. Check out Canada's Glendale RV (Titanium, Golden Falcon) and West Coast Leisure Homes (Okanagan brand).

There are 5th wheels that are designed for cold weather operation, but the question specifically asked about motor homes.  We have at least one couple on the forum that do a lot of winter camping, but it's in a 5er.

You would have to check with the manufacturer to be sure.? I know that Newmar USED to have a cold weather option but I don't know if it is still available or what it was.? It is possible that other manufacturers have them too as more and more they are being used as emergency command posts all over the country.? I'm sure the brass want to keep warm!!

Winnebagos have roofs, walls, and floors filled with polystyrene (I think) foam. But the R value won't match that of a mobile home.

With the addition of an electric heater in the service bay I have been okay with temps  down to 2 degrees overnight.
Not something I would want to do very long though.
Does take a lot of propane.
I only see temps that low when going from a cold place to a much warmer place.

We will leave Grand Junction CO in a few weeks heading for Bouse, AZ and the temp will likely be down to the 20s at night before we leave. That's not a problem.
We do have a 40# propane bottle here we can take down to get filled so we don't have to move the MH. It will last about 7 to 12 days depending on how cold it gets.

I missed the "motor homes" in the original question and the links I suggested are for trailers with good cold weather performance.  For motorhomes, I think the higher end brands have somewhat superior insulation & sealing, but it's still no where near what  a mobile home has.  Canadian coach manufacturer Triple E may buld some better insualted coaches, but I don't know much about them myself.

"Cold weather packages" tend to be insualtion/heating for water lines rather than increased sidewall, floor or roof insulation. A small electric heater in the utility bay is one common part of that option.  The package used to include dual pane glass, but most mid-high end rigs now have that as standard and it is an option on most lower end models a well.

I guess what I am hearing is that motorhomes are not made for cold weather use. On the other hand I guess that one could live in a cardboard box in cold weather, just crank up the propane stove and shell out the buck for heating. I will indeed check out whats made in canada and thank all for the info! :) :)

Check out the eee brand (or is it EEE or Triple E ??? :D). It is a Canadian manufacturer and is supposed to have excellent cold weather construction, but is a bit pricey.

Bernie,
Yeah I did check it out and your right, a bit pricey :mad: I might be able to find a used one without braking the bank. The fact that our dollar keeps sinking don't help matters eather. :'(

Tweak,

Contact Capital RV in Bismarck, ND and see what they have to say about MH in cold.  You might be able to find information on their web site or call them.  If anyone will know, they will and they are pretty straight shooters.  They are in COLD country and gave me some good advice when I ordered.  Our Newmar is good down to at least Zero and we have been comfortable while driving in -20 degrees AFTER I figured out how to do it although my feet in the drivers are did get chilly.  Engine heat is great, better than the furnace.  BG

I recognize some folks need to stay in the cold but if I had wheels and freedom, why would I shovel snow when I could sweep sand off the  rug in Mexico?  I know people who do it in the mountains here in New Mexico, not nearly as cold as Montana, but still cold enough.  They do it but I would not. 

James Godward said:
Tweak,

Contact Capital RV in Bismarck, ND and see what they have to say about MH in cold.  You might be able to find information on their web site or call them.  If anyone will know, they will and they are pretty straight shooters.  They are in COLD country and gave me some good advice when I ordered.  Our Newmar is good down to at least Zero and we have been comfortable while driving in -20 degrees AFTER I figured out how to do it although my feet in the drivers are did get chilly.  Engine heat is great, better than the furnace.  BG

Jim,
Tell me more about your Newmar!

Tweek,

Send me your E-Maill address and I will send some pictures and a narrative about it.  It may take a few days but I will get it done.  I have been gathering the pictures and have some old write ups so it shouldn't be too bad to do.  VBG

Let me know how much detail you want too.

BTW, it is a 2001 but the heating option is still available if ordered and also a few other things.

Our 5er say's Artic package equipped, they mean when it gets real cold it's like being in the Artic inside

motojavaphil said:
I recognize some folks need to stay in the cold but if I had wheels and freedom, why would I shovel snow when I could sweep sand off the  rug in Mexico? 

I don't know why *you* might choose one or the other, but as far as I'm concerned, "skiing" about sums the choice up for me ;->

Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom