Insurance for motor home with 106,000 on it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orel

Hi all i am new to RV and decide to get a small motor home .i like to get some type of power train insurance as a woman and fixing cars isn't what i do:) i try to apply to Good Same insurance but they don't take Motor home only up to 100,000 :( can someone advise me were and if i can get as such.
Thank you

Did you already purchase the motorhome? If so, what is the year/make/model? What do you know about its history and maintenance/repairs from the previous owner(s)?

Hi Orel, welcome to The RV Forum!

IMO, insurance that covers failures of the drivetrain or other major parts of a motorhome is largely useless.  You'll have to get the failure professionally diagnosed, then hope it doesn't fall into one of the many exclusions listed in the fine print that lets the company deny coverage.  There's no such thing as a bumper to bumper warranty or insurance for an RV.

You'd be better off putting what you'd pay for an extended warranty into a fund to handle unexpected repairs. 

Then get towing and breakdown insurance to cover the cost of getting the RV to a qualified repair shop.  This can be a major expense with any kind of a mechanical breakdown.

Both Good Sam and CoachNet offer good road service policies that will tow the RV to a qualified repair shop without charge. They also include a phone number you can call and ask questions about any problem you may have with your RV, including finding a repair shop near you if the RV is still drivable.  If they can help you fix a problem over the phone instead of having to tow the RV to a shop, it's a win for both parties.

Find another rep to talk to. I just renewed a Good Sam Extended Service Plan on a 2006 coach with 107,000 miles on it.

RV's aren't like cars with predictable service life.  They're trucks that are loaded pretty close to, or at maximum gross vehicle weight.  So they're going to suffer an accelerated failure rate at best, and need frequent and thorough routine maintenance or things go downhill from there.  Miss one maintenance service and it's a pretty sure bet any coverage you get would be rendered void.  Between chassis issues and maintaining/repairing the house aspects of RV's, you either need to be extremely handy or know someone that is, or your rig will spend more time in the shop than on the road and you'll be paying crazy labor rates for the myriad of things that fail in these vehicles.  RV's can be fun when they work but they don't stay that way for long and no service plan is going to cover everything.  Just like any extended warranty it's a bet that you think it will fail on their dime, and they are betting it won't.  They're not in the business of losing bets...

If you've acquired an RV with 106K on the clock you likely got it fairly cheap.  All that means is you pay at the back end instead of the front end.  You're either paying a bank, or a mechanic.  Just like boats and planes, RV's run on money so expect to write some checks for updates and repairs.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom