Internet by satellite options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanwatkins

I will appreciate some knowledgable advice about equipping my new Sunline travel trailer with internet connectivity via satellite. I have looked at some options, especially a roof mounted dish, but now am considering a tripod mount. I will only move my trailer about every 4 or 5 months so having a auto-point roof dish is not absolutely critical. I think I can save significant money as the roof mounts can run $4,500 and up.

I can't consider any system requiring a land line phone. Dialup is out of the question. I need highspeed broadband and don't want to depend on the RV park facilities. I work for the National Park Service and may be going to some rather remote locations, so Wi-Fi won't always be available.

Will pick up my trailer in Castle Rock, Colorado area and return to the Texas Panhandle in a couple of weeks. Any leads on dealers in Colorado Springs or Amarillo areas?

Thanks, Dean

There are several of us that have internet satellite.  Works well for us.  Usually have 5 to 9 members with internet satellite dishes at our Quartzsite and Moab rallies.

Dean

Do you have specific questions about the tripod sat system? There are a number of dealers out there such as this one who can provide you with more details of their systems, prices, etc. (Contact them privately for that info). But, as Ron said, a number of us here have those systems and can answer questions.

Ron said:
There are several of us that have internet satellite.? Works well for us.? Usually have 5 to 9 members with internet satellite dishes at our Quartzsite and Moab rallies.

Ron.. a quick personal update (since this will involve you I might as well post it to you)

1: My boss promised a proper office, with proper plumbing, when he moved us to this facility, he delivered an outhouse (porta-potty) and I have no intention of slogging through snow and slush and ice to freeze what you freeze in S.E. Michigan when you sit in one of those things while you folks are sunning yourselves in Quartsite

2: I told him to look for a replacement for me

3: I have already purchased my membership in a science fiction convention Jan 20-21-22 (I think) might be 19-20-21 w/o looking, Fri evening Sat and Sunday)  This is a tradition, it's here in S.E. Michigan. 

At this time the plan is to drive to AZ first/middle part of month,,, Hop plane back to DTW, Weekend Rent wheels from Enterprise,  Return wheels Monday and fly back to AZ

Will need an internet solution.. One I can take with me.. Will bring ... something.. Private me for info and my real E-dress

John,

Have sent you a PM.  Does this mean we will see you at QZ?  If so that is great.  I think you are making  a good decision, sitting in the sun sure beats freezing and scraping frost ice off the windshield.

Ron said:
John,

Have sent you a PM.? Does this mean we will see you at QZ?? If so that is great.? I think you are making? a good decision, sitting in the sun sure beats freezing and scraping frost ice off the windshield.

I'm going to try for QZ if I can't talk the wife into it I'll make Mohab

But I'm going to try for QZ... Just got to work out leaving her alone for one weekend there

John In Detroit said:

But I'm going to try for QZ... Just got to work out leaving her alone for one weekend there

John,

If she's in QZ then she won't be alone!!!

Dean:

I highly recommend Ron Ruward on this forum for an RV "friendly" installer.  He just installed mine this month.  I opted for the roof mount for about $1800 though that price is subject to change at any time.  I could have had just the tripod at about $1500.  I am having a problem, but only because there is a new software update and I cannot get it until I am back in open country where I have line of sight.  Ron is a super installer and he absolutely will not let you leave until you have fully mastered the art of satellite reception.  It is considerably more complicated than TV satellite, but with Ron you would not have a problem mastering the secret arcane art of satellite Internet.  ;D

John In Detroit said:

She would not be alone at the QZ rally she would be among Framily.  Why the girls may have her so busy she might not even miss you with all that shopping and all. ;D ;D

I know you would both enjoy the QZ rally.

Gee (blush) Thanks Smoky.  Let me know when you get out of the woods. McCall, ID is a beautiful area but very  few places up there are Sat friendly among all those trees.

Ron said:
She would not be alone at the QZ rally she would be among Framily.  Why the girls may have her so busy she might not even miss you with all that shopping and all. ;D ;D

I know you would both enjoy the QZ rally.

This I understand.... However getting HER to understand it is not as easy till we get there

Smoky said:
Dean:

I highly recommend Ron Ruward on this forum for an RV "friendly" installer. 

I already figured out who I'm buying from, at least the tripod unit.  I have not yet made a final decision on the in-motion tv only part but Ron is high on that list as well...    There are advantages to a dual antenna setup.. One for rolling one for parked

John,

I don't do the Satellite TV but probably the most reliable inmotion system would be Motosat.  Give Royal Lamb at 801-509-9755 call>  Royal is with Motosat.

Ron said:
John,

I don't do the Satellite TV

Motosat is one of the systems I"m considering, and King dome, and Ray Sat and Wineguard's new system,,, However I may make that deicsion LATER as it were

In any case if you don't do it I won't feel bad about buying from someone else :)

Ron said:
For in-motion satellite TV I would lean more to the Motosat.

Well,,,, You are the man with more expierence... So I may well go that way.

I like the Ray-Sat because it's a low profile, However the rig is pre-wired for something like a motosat or king-dome. And I have heard the occasional complaint against king-dome (from users)

John In Detroit said:
Well,,,, You are the man with more expierence... So I may well go that way.

I like the Ray-Sat because it's a low profile, However the rig is pre-wired for something like a motosat or king-dome. And I have heard the occasional complaint against king-dome (from users)

John

I have a King Dome and have no complaints.

John,

Out west in-motion satellite seems to work pretty well. I have heard complaints from some that it doesn't always work well if there's a lot of moisture. Condensation will degrade the signal. We used to have that problem with microwave dishes that were mounted on a roof pointing up to a reflector. Rain and snow would wipe it out in no time. Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom