Internet Connectivity Problems in Rural Areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsbaatz

We have a hotspot from Verizon that is supposed to include the area where we have our stationary trailer in a rural area of Michigan (Hesperia). It won't work inside our trailer at all but if we set it out in the open field about 30 feet from our trailer we can SOMETIMES get a decent signal. But when the weekend arrives and people start showing up at the campground, we can't get any signal at all. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't cost thousands of dollars for the equipment???? We don't want TV (although we do stream via Netflix, etc.), so DISHTV is not the solution. The irony is that hotspots worked perfectly fine until a few months ago when the area went 5G. Now we can't get anything. "Progress", right???

Different phone vendor?

When we were full timing we decided to have different carriers to help cover the "dry spots" while traveling the US. DW has ATT and I have T-mobile - we still ran into areas that were tough due to mountains and wilderness.

As you probably know, there are mast-based cell phone boosters but they cost upwards of $300. So, I'd go to the local phone store - tell them the problem and let them tell you "it will work", then, bring it to the rig and if doesn't work - go back and cancel the subscription (which likely may take three months of phone calls and complaints based on typical phone company responsiveness <<-- in my life).

5G is 4G + one or more extra capabilities, most of which aren't of much value in a rural environment.. And if you didn't get a new phone or hotspot, it's almost surely still operating on the 4G signal anyway. If there was a change recently, it is more likely that the tower serving the area was tweaked a bit to improve coverage somewhere else and now your area is coming up short.

You seem to have two problems, both common to rural areas.
  • The radio signal is physically weak, either because you are far from a tower or there is interference (geography, buildings, etc)
  • There isn't enough bandwidth available to support many concurrent users.
There are a couple things that could help the signal problem, specifically an outdoor antenna, preferably mounted as high, and a more powerful transmitter than the one built into your hotspot (a Verizon Jetpack Mifi?). The radio & antenna in the hotspot is typically small and weak, so a booster with it's own external antenna can help a lot, e.g. a Weboost unit. There are also external antennas available for the Verizon Jetpacks.

You should also consider a different carrier. Even though Verizon generally has the broadest geographic coverage, there is no guarantee they are the best choice where. Ask others about their experience with T-Mobile & AT&T - they may be getting better access than you in that particular place.

The limited bandwidth problem is not one you can help with except with complaints to Verizon. They probably know about it, but squeaky wheels sometimes get greased. In the meantime, get a second account with another carrier so you have an alternative.

You might try height.. Seal it in a zip lock bag and get it up in the air As high as you can (Flagpole?)
True story This is on VHF not Cell frequencies but the same concept apples
Took my hand held radio (one watt) up the tower (21 story office building.)
Downtown Detroit to Adrian (Repeater site, tall tower) to cars in Toledo Ohio.
A VE3 tried to join us from Windsor.. I literally could see his house from where i was.
Where as I had at best 1/4 watt effective radiated power.. he had like 40.. at 30 feet above ground.
He could not make the trip.. I was solid.. just 220 feet higher than he.
Heigh is Might

Option two.. Go with Star Link.

I have an Uncle that owns LTE company. The lady there I spoke to is super helpful in answering all these questions and since I travel work, I use their device.
1st You want to down load this free app on your cell phone called Opensignal. It is a white icon that has a black tower on it. When you go into the app, you want to click on the target icon( the upside down tear with the dot in the middle) This will take you to a map and there is a bar that says view available networks, something like that. This will tell you who is the best carrier at that location and estimated speeds. I use this app all the time to help me pick the next RV park so I can get the best service. Verizon just came out with a cool looking 5G Cube. My Uncle sent me this to test it out. I will show you a picture. It is pretty amazing but if your service tower is down for Verizon then you have another problem. I would call Wireless Solutions, LLC and see if they can help you get on the right carrier. They got me a T-Mobile Rocker that is a Cat 18 and works amazing while I am actually on the road. I help my Uncle with his marketing, so thats why I have a picture of the Cube. Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Bella

Attachments

• Red Cube 5G.png
    Red Cube 5G.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 6
We live rural. You know that 99% coverage? We're that 1% that they don't give 2 cents about.

We have Starlink for the internet. Everything else via satellite dish wasn't worth 2 cents. Unreliable.

My wife and I joke about going in and out of Verizon cellphone service range on our mountain highway. It's like when astronauts return to earth and lose communication. The blackout zones are routine.

I have a weak signal on the Verizon network. However, I got a mobile booster antenna specifically for the Verizon network which gives me 3 bars instead of one. I put it on a tall pole.

Verizon is mine and it was fine for years, but now unreliable sometimes because they have stopped maintaining the rural towers. I have the Arris Tower and sometimes it goes south for hours. I have complained about out local tower for the last 3 years. We are supposed to get fiber optic out here soon, but who knows. Starlink is supposed to be good but the wait is very long I understand and the entrance cost is sky high. "Satellite" internet is a joke, longest latency around and it goes out when it sprinkles. Don't even think about HughesNet, they have the most complaints of any service around.

If your hotspot supports two antenna connections, a dual aimable MIMO antenna set raised in the air and aimed towards the nearest tower for your carrier may work well for you. We've used our $130 MIMO set in many locations where it has equaled or bettered our previous $600 cell booster set. This is the set we use, and the photo shows how we installed it so it's easily aimable on our motorhome.

0728201649a_HDR.jpg

Cell coverage maps can be quite impressive until you zoom in on your area of interest. Then you can see where the holes are that don't show in the overview and make sure your area is really good or bad.

Big holes in cellphone coverage out in the rural west. Based on the satellite photo of artificial night light there's not much reason out here to have coverage.

dce8b8beba2e1d40863cb304581a8ff3.jpg

If your hotspot supports two antenna connections, a dual aimable MIMO antenna set raised in the air and aimed towards the nearest tower for your carrier may work well for you. We've used our $130 MIMO set in many locations where it has equaled or bettered our previous $600 cell booster set. This is the set we use, and the photo shows how we installed it so it's easily aimable on our motorhome.

View attachment 161444
That one doesn't seem to be available. No price or other sellers link.

You're right...didn't click the link, normally it looks different to me when there are other buying options. I have a small directional booster now, but that one looks like it might be a better one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom