Internet for My Bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeBubba

Hello,

My wife and I purchased a 2019 Bounder 33C two weeks ago and are beyond excited about starting our camping life. Even though LaMesa RV gave us a great review of "Elsa" (so named because my wife is Disney crazy, but also because we picked her up and drove home the day the hurricane came through) we are still finding things we didn't realize she had.

A couple of days ago I was opening the cabinets above the front seats and found the items shown in the attached photo. The item circled in red says "Cradlepoint IBR600NM" on the back.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what I would need to add to get Internet? I am suspecting I need a "hotspot" possibly to tie into the Cradlepoint (router?), but I'm not sure what the WeBoost does.

I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Thank you very much,

Joe

Attachments

• Bounder Internet Bay 2a.jpg
    Bounder Internet Bay 2a.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 34
Thank you both very much for your quick reply. So it seems that to get internet access, my best bet might be to hotspot my cell phone?
Joe

Thank you both very much for your quick reply. So it seems that to get internet access, my best bet might be to hotspot my cell phone?
Joe
Yes, that's about the only way I'm able to get internet. Most CG's that do have the free Internet are almost unusable will all the people sharing the connection, a few have decent but that's a rarity. I have an unlimited plan that I use and even that's OK for some surfing and email but streaming is spotty depending on where I am. Someone many chime in that use the internet for everything, TV, Net Flicks, and a host of others. I admit all this "new" electronics & streaming stuff is beyond me. I was showed Chrome cast with the Chrome thing on the back of the TV an on occasion use that to stream from my lap top, not very sophisticated now days.

I taught online college classes until very recently, so I have some experience traveling while trying to get connectivity. Here are my recommendations:
  • Unlimited data is seldom really unlimited. Most cell providers will slow you down after a certain number of gigabytes.
  • You might even need to get two mobile hotspots, depending on how much bandwidth and reliability you need. I have two mobile hotspots through Verizon and still used to sometimes use the data on my phone as a backup. Also, there is always a possibility of one hotspot dying in the middle of nowhere and having to drive somewhere to buy another one, so I have always made sure I had backups. (I even bought a cheap laptop for backup right after my hard drive died on Okracoke Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina--a 1.5 hour ferry trip and two hour drive to the nearest electronics store.)
  • There are devices that will boost internet connectivity so that you can get access from a parking lot from stores and restaurants that provide free internet for their customers. Here is one I own for places where I cannot get a Verizon cell signal: C. Crane Super USB Wifi Antenna 3 - High Power Long Range 802.11 B G N Wireless Signal Booster Network Adapter
  • Don't assume Verizon or any other coverage maps are correct. Also, don't assume that commercial campground owners will accurate describe their "free internet." For example, I once discovered at one place that you could only get the free internet if you were inside the laundry room. Hard to conduct a business meeting next to very loud washers and dryers.
It can be done, but working on the road takes planning and being prepared for things not working.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that I have I have one Verizon & T-mobile sometimes one works and the other will not, depending on signal strength. I will not do any type financial one an open net like the stores you mention.

Thank you Edd505 and JudyJB! i appreciate your advice. For now my wife and I plan to travel every other weekend, so I was thinking it might be more wise to use my cell phone as a hotspot for now until I need more capability. It's basically a "nice to have" at the moment. JudyJB that must have been awesome (and worrisome) to teach classes on the road!
Joe

We have Verizon & t-mobile but the mobile router we have (a cheap Alcatel) isn’t supported by Verizon and the t-mobile service here is poor. I find it difficult to determine which devices will “really” work with Verizon. Ideally I want one with 2 sim slots so both t-mobile and Verizon are loaded.

You might also check with Nomad Internet. I haven't personally used it yet but know others that have and it seems to get them by.

Teaching online while traveling is challenging, especially when a class meets for several hours only once a week. Luckily, I was able to post things in advance, but I did have to answer student questions via email within 24 hours. I was also required to return papers and exams within seven days. At one point, students had to sign up for live student presentations, which had potential for disaster if I had connectivity problems. I was VERY happy when that assignment was changed to having students record presentations, which gave me more flexibility in case of technical problems.

Luckily, I had taught part-time at this college for 13 years in a classroom and 10 years online from home before I started traveling, so I had a pretty solid reputation for being conscientious, and the college was pretty understanding, but no employer will be understanding forever, which is why I had two of everything!!! When I retired, I had 31 years of part-time service!!

Connectivity in business can also be a problem. You can only make excuses for missing a teleconference so many times before a company will not want to tolerate your traveling.

One tip: Mobile hotspots from Verizon cost about $200, but you can sometimes buy one in almost-new condition from eBay. I got my first back-up hotspot for $50 when they were costing $300 new from Verizon. It was a Verizon hotspot, so I just took it in and told them a friend had given it to me and I needed to have it activated.

We have Verizon apple phones
Each has 15 gig of data unlimited high-speed after 50 it does slow down by drill get remain an text
Bought there hotspot
Great signal we travel a lot
As long ad we can dial we have internet
He's have never run out of data even with grandson watching movies
Really don't need hotspot with reach phone having 15 gigs
Phones get a little warm when using as hotspot so we keep our portable
Good luck
Sorry for mistakes I have had a stroke

I just bought a 23 Bounder and already have a Verizon Jetpack. How do I connect the jetpack to the roof antenna?

You might indicate which antenna(s) you have on your roof -- it must be one designed for that use. Then you have to find the connection inside the coach. Otherwise, installing one on the roof is necessary, unless you choose to use an inside antenna (possible, but not quite as effective).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom