internet on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mopic

I am considering going at least half time by  2010. Anyway, what are most people using for internet on the road? I would assume a laptop with a mobile broadband card would be fairly common. I just checked my speed, and I am averaging about 5 megabits per second on cable. I would also assume that some of the upscale rv parks have wi-fi?

Some folks use the services offer by cell phone companies while others utilize wifi when available or the combination of cell services or wifi based on availability.  Some of the members use satellite internet either a automatic system or a manual setup system.

Tom said:
Here's a recent response on the same subject to another forum member.
>Several phone carriers offer 'unlimited internet service' using an air card (it's a cellular phone in a PCMCIA card). There's a monthly service fee that varies between the carriers and their speeds are somewhat different. One issue is the coverage (location of the nearest cell tower so you can receive a signal).<

My new Dell has a different type of slot. I had hoped to replace my cable at home with a card and take the card along for days on the road. Could the new slot be too new to have adaptors available (PCMCIA to whatever Dell uses)?

Hi Dick,

I assume you're talking about a notebook PC. I'm not familiar with the new Dell notebooks but, if you give me the model number, I could look it up.

Dick Zeiter said:
My new Dell has a different type of slot. I had hoped to replace my cable at home with a card and take the card along for days on the road. Could the new slot be too new to have adaptors available (PCMCIA to whatever Dell uses)?

I also have a new Dell which has the new express card PCMCIA slot...smaller than the standard PCMCIA. As far as I know, Verizon is the only service that has an express card but it's big bucks.  The V640 is $179.99 with a two year contract. However, there are also adapters which allow you to use a PCMCIA card in an express pci slot. Here's one : PCMCIA to Express Adapter With this, you could get a cheaper PCMCIA aircard for Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.

Thanks Bruce. I wasn't familiar with the Express card slot.

Last night I found a site by doing a google search that sold the V640 express card for $19.99 with a 2 yr contract with Verizon (@ $79/mo). Didn't keep track of the site but it shouldn't be too hard to find. There are USB to express card adapters but the best deal is the Duel Sytems adapter which I referenced with a link in my previous post. It should be released for sale shortly and the proposed retail price is $119. The beauty about this adapter is that the speed throughput is the same as the express card (which is faster than PCMCIA and USB) and with the adapter you can take advantage of any of the wireless broadband providers' PCMCIA air cards. Purely by looking at the coverage maps, it appears T-Mobile has the best coverage for USA and Canada but some of you out there may have more real world experience.

BruceinFL said:
Purely by looking at the coverage maps, it appears T-Mobile has the best coverage for USA and Canada...

Bruce, I've had t-mobile for 3 years, crossed the country a couple of times and been up through the maritimes. I have to say that I've been nothing short of amazed at the coverage. One caveat .... t-mobile north of the border roams to Rogers/AT&T, but there's a roaming charge for Canada. Also FWIW t-mobile's air card service is much slower than Sprint or Verizon, although I believe that will change.

BruceinFL said:
.....there are also adapters which allow you to use a PCMCIA card in an express pci slot. .....

I prefer to go with Verizon and since I want to use it both at home in a desktop and on the road in the laptop, I guess the adaptors would be necessary.
Does Verizon offer different speeds at different costs? Looked on their web for information and all I find is cellphone internet pages.

Here is my answer ...  if you are going to stick pretty close to the Interstates, go broadband Verizon.  If you like to boondock in remote areas, go satellite.

Our own solution is Hughes satellite, backed up by Verizon back door when we are on the move and too tired to put up the dish.  I wish we had gone Motosat when we got the coach because climbing up on the roof gets old real fast when on a long haul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom