Internet satellite dish aiming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LloydinGA

Am looking to do a site survey for either a Datastorm or HughesNet dish.  I called a local installer (about 120 miles away) and he said,
"Well somewhere between 200 to 220 azimuth and 40 to 50 elevation".  I need to shoot through some trees and I'm also not sure of max cable length.  I need more accurate info for zip code 29686, or N34.55  W83.10.  Any help would be appreciated!

The exact pointing parameters will depend on which satellite you're assigned to.  There are birds from 83W to 127W.  Tell us which satellite you want to point at and I can give you exact azimuth and elevation numbers.

Lloyd

Depends on the satellite you use, go to http://www.datastormusers.com/ & download the DSlocator utility & you can plug in different satellites.

For example on my satellite 99 G4R you would be Elevation 46.4; Azimuth 212.3 magnetic; & skew 21.7

The DSLookAngle utility would be a better choice.? You can enter lat/lon and select any satellite and it will show graphically as well as numerically the azimuth, elevation, and skew.  DSLookAngle is also available from www.datastormusers.com.

As mentioned you can download DSLookAngle utility from Datastormers.com to get the parameters for each satellite for your location.? Currently new installs are being put on IA6 for which the parameters for Zip 29686 are: Elevation 48.1 Azimuth 202.8

I think Terry meant DSLookangle too.  Or DSSattool (which does another job that is needed as well)

I like DSLookangle's interface better than DSSattool, however this simply means I must run Point4020

Lloyd,

I guess that puts you about 40 miles west of Greenville, near Pine Mountain. There are currently 7 DirecWay (HughesNet) satellites that are in use. When you sign up for service, your equipment is "commissioned" to work on a particular satellite, something you don't have much (idf any) control over. Here is a list of them; longitude first, then designation.

83W AMC9
87W AMC3
89W IA8
91W G11
95W G3C
99W G4r
117W SatMex5
127W Horizons 1

Once you know which sat. you will be on, it's a simple matter to find where it is in relation to you. The Look Angle Calculator, written by Don Bradner, is an incredibly useful tool that will give you a graphic representation of exactly where to look for it. Here's a link to the page you can download it from. http://www.datastormusers.com/lookangle.cfm Read the directions there and don't forget to download the zips1.zip file also.

A call to Hughes tech support may get you which satellite they'll probably put you on based on your zipcode. The info you got from the installer (?) is next to useless :-\

Can't help you on the length of the cable, but it's always wise to keep it as short as possible.

LloydinGA said:
Am looking to do a site survey for either a Datastorm or HughesNet dish.? I called a local installer (about 120 miles away) and he said,
"Well somewhere between 200 to 220 azimuth and 40 to 50 elevation".? I need to shoot through some trees and I'm also not sure of max cable length.? I need more accurate info for zip code 29686, or N34.55? W83.10.? Any help would be appreciated!

Not sure if you've made a final decision on HughesNet. Starband is a viable alternative that would put you on 129W -- so you don't have to worry about being put on a different bird. For 29686, the El and AZ would be 27.0 and 241.0.

Back
Top Bottom