Internet service while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

montanabound

Can someone explain to me how you get internet service while traveling. Here's what I want to do. I want to get a laptop and be able to go online while we are on the road. I hear so much about wireless service but I have no idea how to accomplish it. Can anyone explain it in detail to me ? ???

montanabound said:
Can someone explain to me how you get internet service while traveling. Here's what I want to do. I want to get a laptop and be able to go online while we are on the road. I hear so much about wireless service but I have no idea how to accomplish it. Can anyone explain it in detail to me ? ???

If you mean, from a laptop and while traveling, you want to get a PC card for your laptop that gives you networking capability.  they are available from most cell companies with varying speeds and prices.  I use and EDGE card from T-Mobile that give me unlimited use at speeds ranging from 20K to 128K for a price of $29.99/month.  Other carriers have faster service at varying prices.

Al

Here's an article from our library that covers various options. Of course, this stuff gets out of date in a hurry.  *

Montanabound:

1. Look into Verizon and Sprint as well for cellular service.

2. Plan on having a good USB  WIFI card for your laptop to connect to those parks that offer free WIFI service. There is a list of over 600 CG's that do in our library as well as other sites on the internet.

The other option a lot of us use is internet satellite service from various providers like HughesNet, Starband, and MotoSat.

Be assured there will be several options available to you at various prices.

I use the Verizon Mobile Office when Wi-Fi or Libraries are not available. Free when used after 9 and before 6....and on weekends. Disadvantage is it is very slow and only useful for email and a little web stuff. Most libraries have free high speed internet access. So, the Verizon is OK for filling in the gaps........ ;) If you need high speed access then it will cost some money and others can give you details about that...........................

montanabound said:

Montana Bound,

Just so we are all talking about the same thing and compairing apples to apples.....Do you want to know how to connect to the internet while you are parked or are you talking about internet access while you are driving down the road?

woodartist said:
I use the Verizon Mobile Office when Wi-Fi or Libraries are not available. Free when used after 9 and before 6....and on weekends. Disadvantage is it is very slow and only useful for email and a little web stuff.  If you need high speed access then it will cost some money and others can give you details about that...........................

Are you sure you are on the Verizon 1XRTT Network. Our speeds are at least double that of dial-up.

This morning I am posting a caution in another thread about Verizon backdoor cell phone service without a data card.

That said, you can get "almost broadband" speed using the method Jeff said...? attach a dongle to your Verizon cell phone, be sure you have enhanced national access service ("Get it now" is an example of that service) and then use the Mobile Office Kit to dial up the network for free after 9pm, before 6am and all day on weekends.

The best help for doing this is on the Yahoo Internetbycellphone "group" at:

Yahoo - Internetbycellphone group

I use the Verizon Mobile Office when Wi-Fi or Libraries are not available. Free when used after 9 and before 6....and on weekends. Disadvantage is it is very slow

woodartist...
With Mobile Office and the Verizon "back door" you can get either low speed (Q2N) service or the higher speed National Access (aka eExpress Net or 1Xrtt). NA is typically 1.5X - 2.0X dial-up speeds and is readily usable for web access as well as email.

Gary:

I get a LOT more than 2x.  Almost as fast as satellite, but not quite.  I think speed depends upon time of day, the local cell station facility, and the volume of traffic.  It can get as slow as 2.0x dialup, but i do not often find it that slow.

Going the satellite route was too expensive for me. Other people can fill you in on that method of internet access.

Verizon is rapidly covering the country with broadband access areas and where they don't have broadband they have ExpressNet which is better than dial up and reaches low DSL speeds in spurts.

i have a Verizon Aircard (comes free with the data plan) and the Broadband Access plan. If you have a Verizon voice plan the cost is $59 per month for unlimited minutes anywhere in the US, no roaming or long distance charges on the Verizon network or extended network. In a few cases the extended network will not have data access.

Many campgrounds now have free wifi and more are coming on board all the time. A few RV parks still charge for it but I think competition will phase those charges out over time. That requires either a wifi card or a built in capability. I think most if not all laptops now come with it built in.

My research indicates that Verizon and Cingular have the best coverage available. They all claim to be the best, but take a look at the coverage maps and you can see for yourself.

Some people are using what is called "backdoor" access to Verizon's ExpressNet data service - getting the service without paying for a data plan. 
Take a look at Smokies post about backdoor access - it looks like Verizon has found a way to close the backdoor on new phones and plans.
That's why I now have a new Aircard.

I would have gone with the aircard except for their lack of coverage away from the Interstates.  We do a lot of boondocking and rural areas, so satellite was better for us at about the same price. (except for startup cost)  We use the Verizon enhanced network instead of our satellite when we are on the road on a long haul as our long hauls generally follow the Interstates and we are more likely to be operating the Internet at night.  Saves climbing up the ladder at a Wall mart LOL!  ;D ;D

Smoky, take a look at the latest coverage maps - National Access is now pretty wide spread even away from interstates.
The real highspeed Broadband access is still restricted to urban areas but is expanding all the time.
I was surprised to be able connect to broadband about 60 miles from Rochester, NY.

I get National access in Bouse AZ and that's pretty far out in the sticks!

Clay:

What i meant is that you can really depend upon Verizon along the Internet  ooops Interstate [edited].? There are still tons of places in this country where you cannot.? Satellite is the way for us in our wanderings, though Verizon makes a great backup for us.? We are DEAD without coverage as we do ALL our banking, bill paying, consulting work, and more via the Internet.? Being dead just one day is a real hardship for us.? We are fulltimers and that really increases our dependency.

So what's my first step ? Just contact a carrier and they will tell me all I need to know ? I think we would just need it while we are parked.

If you get a newer laptop it will have the Wi-Fi built in. Your cell phone provider, like Verizon, will be able to give you the details on their internet access. I'd start at the cheapest and see if that fits your needs. As mentioned, the regular Verizon works fine for me and I run several businesses from the web. Free, 9-6 and on weekends. There is a lot of Wi-i out there and the libraries are usually set up for high speed. Can't think of where we have had any problems other than in Kansas because of the analog restrictions...that was a year ago. Things change fast and usually for the better ;)

There is a discussion on the Yahoo group that Smoky mentioned about how to activate Get It Now service to have 1XRTT service available instead of the slower Quick 2 Net.

I would strongly suggest reading it BEFORE you call Verizon.

Good suggestion.  And see if you can order yourself on the web.  The less contact with human beings the better.  If you do contact human beings never say the word, "Internet".

Back
Top Bottom