Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, some campgrounds offer free (or fee) wireless connections to the internet.  If you use the Trailer Life directory it will tell you if a park offers WiFi internet access.  Also, many parks have a phone line connection available if you can use dialup, and some even have Ethernet connections available.

I've been wondering about this myself for whenever I buy my 5th wheel.  Am I correct that if I get the satellite prep/dish/receiver, that I can also use that equipment for internet access anywhere (assuming a signal can be obtained)?

Also is it correct that, in addition to being slow (as usual), dialup would also be expensive unless one had a "toll-free" dialup number (maybe they don't even exist), or else kept changing their "local" dialup number based on their current geographic location?

Gary

The answer to your post Gary is somewhat complex.  Internet and television signals are on different sattelites, and dishes can only be "Fudged" so far (By Fudged I mean use of an offset LNB)  The shape of the dish affects how far 

Now, The top internet provider is Hughes, and the oval "DirecWay" dishes can see up to 20 degrees either side of center, (The internet bird is always CENTER!) so if you get assigned to a bird that is at, say, 99 degrees W, then Direc TV's main bird is at 101 (2degrees) Which is a special case) and Dish is at 110 (11 degrees) and 119) 20 degrees) so one dish can do it all.

However if like me you are assigned to 83,  Well,,, I could snag direc at 101 but I use DISH so I need 110 as a minimum or 110 and 119 both, this means I need 2 dishes.

Also the stuff hooked to the dish (MODEM for internet,  Receiver for TV) is totaly different too, this is not a problem though, you can easily run 2-3 or more cables to the same dish (one per device mounted on the dish)

GaryB said:
I've been wondering about this myself for whenever I buy my 5th wheel.  Am I correct that if I get the satellite prep/dish/receiver, that I can also use that equipment for internet access anywhere (assuming a signal can be obtained)?

Also is it correct that, in addition to being slow (as usual), dialup would also be expensive unless one had a "toll-free" dialup number (maybe they don't even exist), or else kept changing their "local" dialup number based on their current geographic location?

Gary

I believe most sat prep packages are for satellite TV, NOT for internet access. As John mentioned IF you have an internet sat receiver you add a bracket to mount a TV LNB that will then enable you to receive TV with the internet satellite.

Unfortunately that does not work in reverse, you can't add anything to  a TV satellite receiver to get internet.

Most RVers do not use dialup for most of their internet access because it is slow. WIFI, cell, and satellite are the most common choices.

We use wifi when we can and we just now got cingular air card 3g pretty fast much much better then dial up. Not bad for uploading or downloading pics.

Good luck

Colleen

I would recommend a cell phone with modem capability.  Choose one that uses standard generic USB cable so it can be shared with your digital camera. Your cellphone can be re-charged while you are surfing internet.

Regarding the service provider, IMHO, Cingular and Verizon are better than Tmobile and Sprint.  Tmobile offers free hotspots which is terrific only if you are in their "zones" which I have not seen a lot in back country or rural areas.  Sprint is billed as the fastest data transmission provider but their coverage is spotty, mainly in metropolitans.

A high-end option is Blackberry with modem capability.  With this option, you only need to launch the laptop only when you are doing extensive web surfing or uploading.  Email will be automatically downloaded into the Blackberry realtime.  Everything else when you are in a hury, you can do it with the blackberry like direction, nearest gas station or a restaurant.

HTH,

Cal

RVCal said:
Regarding the service provider, IMHO, Cingular and Verizon are better than Tmobile and Sprint.  Tmobile offers free hotspots which is terrific only if you are in their "zones" which I have not seen a lot in back country or rural areas.  Sprint is billed as the fastest data transmission provider but their coverage is spotty, mainly in metropolitans.

I have traveled a number of times with people using Verizon and have had about the same amount of coverage on my Sprint PCS as they did. Sometimes they had coverage when I didn't and sometimes I had coverage when they didn't. However, overall I had internet access about as often as they. The main difference dates back a number of years when Verizon also offered a 14.4 cps while roaming while Sprint's service only was on the digital network, but at faster than dial up speeds. I've used Sprint coast to coast and Alaska. Haven't been in too many metropolitans recently.

Those that may be having difficulty with WIFI might try the adapter card that has an antenna jack.  I bought a setup on ebay and I go from a low signal to a strong signal with the little 8 inch antenna.  The antenna has a magnet on the base so you can attach it to the roof.

Easydoesit

Is that for an aircard, the magnetic antena?
I am very happy with my cingular celluar 3g air card for internet access so far but if a stronger antena can be used with it I might be interested in this for our trip out west next summer. Also where did you say you got this antenna from?

Thanks
Colleen

colleenfl said:
Easydoesit

Is that for an aircard, the magnetic antena?
I am very happy with my cingular celluar 3g air card for internet access so far but if a stronger antena can be used with it I might be interested in this for our trip out west next summer. Also where did you say you got this antenna from?

Thanks
Colleen

What's the cost for that Cingular Internet service, if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom