Internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach

As one who has become addicted to his laptop and wireless internet, are you guys finding campsites mostly have Wi/Fi?

I envision myself driving around towns with my laptop open trying to find a free wireless connection though!!
thanks,
Zach

Not most, but many campgrounds now offer wireless internet access.  There is a file in our library that lists 700 campgrounds with free wireless internet and this web site has several files for Street Atlas and Streets & Trips that show campgrounds with both free and pay wireless internet.

Not all campgrounds offer Wi-Fi, the one where I'm at now used to, the antennas are still up but it has been turned off...

However everywhere I'm parked has wi-fi less I'm parked for a very short time

One of the RON's here has "Ron's internet solutions" in his sig file... Click on the link

Zach,

If you'd like to explore the satellite internet option that John mentioned, click here for contact information for a HughesNet certified installer. A number of us here have had very positive experience with his work and support.

Campgrounds that do not have wifi often have a phone line available for use. Some times free and sometimes not; sometimes unlimited use and sometimes restricted to brief sessions.

You can also get online via a cell phone if you have a suitable phone and data kit.

Rare indeed do I spend a day in the RV without being able to get online.

Zack,

Also check out Wireless Air Cards.  Personally I use Sprint (a USB connected antenna and electronics (including GPS) that I can hang in a window in the rig, use out on the picnic table, or use in the truck when traveling.  Cost me $50 bucks up front and $60 a month for air time, vice $5,300 or so up front and $80 a month for the automatic DataStorm satellite internet system, or $1,300 up front and $60 a month for the Tripod satellite internet system.

Can I use my Air Card EVERYWHERE like satellite internet?  NO, I can't!  I have to be someplace that has sprint coverage, but given my travel habits I'm finding I usually have coverage.  If I don't, which as been rare, it's always been a short drive away.  To be honest I've had a harder time finding Wi-fi, at least Wi-Fi I can use from inside the rig, than I have coverage for the Air Card!

Another and possibly better choice, given the size of their network, is Verizon.  The Air Card I have is EV-DO, and it's very very fast.  MUCH faster than I thought it was going to be.  I'm not sure what protocols Verizon uses, but I doubt it makes a difference.

You can almost always tap into an open connection in a small town, or any town for that matter.  I drive around with my laptop open and my finger on the F5 key to refresh the list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom