introducing ourselves and asking for winter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmiles

Hello everyone..My wife, Betty, and I are glad to be on this board. ?We hope to be responsible, contributing members. ?We RV in a 2005 42 ft Travel Supreme. ?We love RVing but find keeping it maintained a challenge. ?We are planning to go south this winter. ?Had planned to go toFla, West coast, but some are suggesting the RioGrande Valley, ie, Mercedes, tx. ?Any suggestions for anyone? ?Thanks, Jim Miles

Love it here in Arizona west of Phoenix.  Only a short drive to the mountains,  severals hours to Vegas ,  not too far to Mexico.    Love it.  Shorts all year long for me.

Welcome.
This is a good forum and I think you will enjoy it.
We like both AZ and TX, so we spend Dec & Jan in Bouse, AZ then Feb,Mar & Ap in Port Isabel, South TX.

Not sure where we will head after that.

A lot of snowbirds hit San Diego and the desert country around Palm Springs and better yet over by Borrego Springs in back of San Diego.

Welcome aboard Jim. We should be able to help out with most of your questions.

What type of maintenance problems are you having with the TS? Might be able to help there.

Where do you live and what is your winter timing? That could affect our recommendations. Personally, we love the southwest. AZ has great weather in the winter, lots of activities, lots of campgrounds and lots of scenery. Give it some consideration.

Welcome to the Forum.

Add our votes for the southwest and California deserts. We've lived in Florida and Texas, too, but prefer the Arizona and California deserts.

BernieD said:
Welcome aboard Jim. We should be able to help out with most of your questions.

What type of maintenance problems are you having with the TS? Might be able to help there.

Where do you live and what is your winter timing? That could affect our recommendations. Personally, we love the southwest. AZ has great weather in the winter, lots of activities, lots of campgrounds and lots of scenery. Give it some consideration.
Bernie, good to hear from you..tell Marlene hello..remember we were with you, Scotty, and croud up thru Canada...
just nickel and dime issues..like reading lite not working, starting batteries went bad, ABS dash lite on, etc, etc...
we live in South Carolina and weather is great except about 2 mionths , Jan and Feb.  WE have been going to Fl, but am considering east Texas, mercedes...any ideas?  Thanks, Jim

jimmiles said:
Bernie, good to hear from you..tell Marlene hello..remember we were with you, Scotty, and croud up thru Canada...

Of course. You had to leave us to go to some rally and were very sorry you didn't stay with us  :-[

just nickel and dime issues..like reading lite not working, starting batteries went bad, ABS dash lite on, etc, etc...

Sounds easy enough to fix, stop at Wakarusa and/or Charlotte on your way out west and you'll be all set ;D

we live in South Carolina and weather is great except about 2 mionths , Jan and Feb.  WE have been going to Fl, but am considering east Texas, mercedes...any ideas?  Thanks, Jim

If it was me I'd come out west. We have the RV Forum rally at Quartzsite the last couple of weeks in January and you can get up close and personal with many of the posters on this site :) We also go to the FMCA-Western Area rally in Indio, CA (near Palm Springs) the week before. Sometimes some of us go up to Death Valley (not us this year) after the QZ rally.

BernieD said:
Sometimes some of us go up to Death Valley (not us this year) after the QZ rally.

We're going to Death Valley before Quartzsite and may not leave the SW deserts until the temps hit 85.

Depends on what you want to do: I fish, so I pass AZ and all that desert country, and head directly to the Gulf Coast of TX. The Rio Grande valley is an absolute birdwatchers paradise, if you are into that.
Big Bend NP, Carlsbad Caverns and all that country is within a day or two of each other. South Padre Island is practicaly impossible to get a res on, but Brownsville has tons of RV parks, and at better prices, Easier to get to both the Island or Boca Chica beach for fishing, etc.
As to maintainance: Set up a schedule for yourself, make it up on a paper, and laminate it, so you can check off items on a specific period.
If things are breaking especially if they are major, give an overhaul some thight. I just replaced our Range, Fridges, and Furnace, but we have a restored Avion, and it is not a spring chicken.
wheel bearings, spring tune up, and those osort of things are important to keeping things usable. I almost never shut off the fridge, and keep some bottles of water frozen in the freezer, and a case of sodas in the fridge.
We also cycle water through the systems frequently when it is parked out back of the house.

I NEVER golf, so if that is your bag, you'l have to ask someone else.

Welcome to the RV Forum.

We tried Florida and I guess if your into bugs and allagators its ok.  We'll pass on that.  Like Az and there is fishing along the Colorado and at some lakes around Yuma.  We enjoyed AZ.  This year we are in Texas and will see how it goes here.  Hope to get to Big Bend this year.  Consider joining us at the Moab Rally the end of April and the QZ rally in January.

Big Bend is exceptioal. Try to fit in: Marfa and marfa Lights, the artists colony at Marathon, the Gage Hotel (evenif you fdon't stay) Chinati Hot Springs (in the toad), and Balmorhea State Park and pool. If sh isn't dead yet, look for the old lady with the burro in Van Horn. In the deserts there, watch for the Vermillion Flycatcher, and the Scissortailed Flycatcher. In the rio grande Valley, the most striking easy bird to see is the Green Jay. Watch out for rattlesnakes. They are everywhere. The Park is also a Cougar range, and has lots of warnings.

Depends on what you want to do: I fish, so I pass AZ and all that desert country,...

Gee, then you take a pass on the black and striped bass, trout, crappie, and cat fishing in the Colorado River's Lakes Meade, Mojave, and Havasu and the Topock Marsh and the River itself.  Fishing for stripers in the tail race of Parker Dam with surf rods has a certain following.  All it costs is an AZ non-resident license and a Colorado River stamp.

The lakes on the Salt River in Arizona also have some nice fishing including Walleyes.  Roosevelt Lake (Bass) was particularly productive this past year due increased acreage.

Back
Top Bottom