Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

Hello,
I am a new RV owner and have been reading up on as much information as I can.  We have a 2003 Fleetwood DP 37'.  I would be glad to explain how we landed on a DP and the research we did ahead of time.  Frankly our lack of inspection before purchase was terrible.  We purchased through a small retailer who got the RV on foreclosure - so I don't have the benefit of talking to the previous owner.  It looks well maintained, everything works, and the record keeping was good and still in the RV.

I am learning quickly that a lot of RV maintenance needs to be DIY.  The current projects I am working on are:
1.  Winterizing.  I think I am good on doing this myself in a few weeks.
2.  Figuring out why one of the hydraulic leveling jacks raises super slow and never to fully raised.  I plan to clean with a cloth then apply silicone spray.  My concern is that the system will sometimes give me a warning beep when I try to drive.  The problem jack rises to about an inch short.
3.  Figuring out the TV.  The RV has a hand-crank satellite dish and TV antenna.  It looks like the previous owner removed the satellite receiver.  Understanding the wiring is difficult because it is hard to see behind the TV.  It took me 3 trips to understand how to connect a DVD.  However the audio doesn't play through the surround sound.  When using an Amazon Firestick the surround sound works.

The professional maintenance I am having done includes:
1.  Oil change (done - $320)
2.  Transmission maintenance (in process today)
3.  Fuel Filter (in process today)
4.  Inspect tires (they have a 2010 02 date)
5.  Inspect air brakes.  They work adequately but I have to push the pedal lower than I would expect to come to a full stop.

I am looking forward to hearing more.  Regards, Mark

Welcome to the forum.
You said the tires are 2010 02 date. What's the 02? Those tires are 8 years old so you better think about replacing them soon even if the tread looks good.  Lifespan of Rv tires is 7 to 8 years. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I will need to re-check what the code said - I thought it translated for Feb 2010 but I could be mistaken.  I will plan on getting new tires.  I appreciate the help.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy! Sounds like you're on top of everything and getting educated, smart move. Good luck and have fun!

There's an article on dating tires in the library, tab above. I'd insert a link directly to it, but I think it would be a good thing for you to look through the library. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but there's a lot of great info in there.

FWIW the library article is an extract from our Glossary of RV terms. Click the Glossary button above and go to Tire manufacturing date codes.
I second kdb's suggestion to familiarize yourself with our forum Library.

Back
Top Bottom