Inverter/Charger or Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

We have a Xantrax Freedom 458-25 charger/inverter.  This model has two outputs, one 20A and the other 15.

The only thing (I think) on the 15A output is the GE Profile Microwave/Convection oven.  It?s a model ?JVM1790BK 01? and according to spec only draws 1650 watts. 

When we?re on shore power, 30A or 50A, and use the microwave for more than a couple of minutes it trips the 15A output breaker on the charger/inverter.

If I turn the inverter on and enable Power Share it doesn?t trip the breaker.
If I plug the microwave into another outlet it doesn?t trip either of the breakers.

OK, so here?s my questions:

The manual states that the inverter has an internal bypass so I?m thinking it could be that the breaker itself needs to be replaced.  Are those parts available?  I?ve found lots of places willing to sell me a whole new unit but nobody offering parts.  Even those sites saying they have a parts list end up having nothing.

As near as I can see the outputs from the inverter are #12.  And the input is 10 or maybe even 8.

Any suggestions?

Parts for any Xantrex are typically in short supply or non-existent. However, I'm really skeptical that the problem is a weak breaker, despite the fact that it's a popular claim on the internet. However, it's quite possible that the breaker in the Xantrex is more sensitive than ones on other circuits and thus trips a bit sooner. Xantrex even touts its "fast acting electronic protection".

That 1650 watts is measured at 120v, so at least 13.7 amps.  If the voltage is lower, the amps go up, so you could be pushing 15A. Microwaves also have a power factor greater than 1.0.

Question: The Xantrex 458-25 described in the manual on their website says the 25 model uses external circuit breakers for the output, but you said the breaker is on the inverter?  According to the manual, only the 10/15/20 models have integral breakers. But maybe it's talking about a later version - the 458 has been around a long time in various flavors.
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom458(445-0193-01-01_rev-2).pdf

Thanks Gary.  I already found that manual and added it to my library.

It definitely has two breakers right on the front panel of the inverter.  See picture.

I?ve seen plenty of breakers go bad in houses. If that weren?t the case hardware stores probably wouldn?t bother carrying them at all.  I?ve replaced several in our sticks & bricks house over the last 29 years.

Attachments

• 939D69CE-E6EC-4CF9-89E6-453D19BE1A91.png
    939D69CE-E6EC-4CF9-89E6-453D19BE1A91.png
    170 KB · Views: 14
If that is a TRUE SINE inverter Alas it is not so Ill stop this line of thought there.

Since it is MSW it is possible the Microwave is pulling more than the label indicates You need equipment capable of measuring up to 20 amps to test.

Now I have an adapter (home made) that can do it once calibrated but (I'm not comfortable telling you how to make.    Not sure now clamp on amp meters work on MSW. 

IN power pass through mode the microwave is eating True Sine (Mains) so it is not a problem

Normally *I'd advise a specific low-cost meter. but I'm told it tends to burn up on MSW.

John is right,  the power consumption figures go out the window when the source is MSW rather than PSW.  However, I think 8Muddypaws is running from shore power, meaning the Xantrex is passing through standard utility pure sine power.

I?ve seen plenty of breakers go bad in houses.
Didn't say it can't happen, but it is much less likely than internet wisdom would have you believe.  And good industrial grade breakers fail far less often than the el cheapo contractor grade stuff sold in many retail stores or used by some installers.
It irritates me to see the blame for a breaker trip to immediately be laid on breaker failure when the odds are heavy that it is "working as designed". Same for GFCIs.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom