Inverter issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvladd

We seemed to have a problem with the inverter cable. We tested the inverter Itself, and it works fine in another RV,we seem to think it’s the cable and we need to replace it, my problem is, we don’t have the wiring schematics for our 2006 Fleetwood excursion 39L, is there anybody out there that might be able to email me a copy of the schematics? I would really appreciate it thank you

I don't have the schematics but I did have a similar issue with a camper once. The inverter kept showing a fault. It ended up being a bad battery. It may not be your issue but worth mentioning. Good luck!

On many RVs, schematics just don't exist. Hopefully, yours is not one of those. In either case, the problem should not be terribly difficult to track down. First, lets confirm that you are actually referring to the inverter (12 vdc in, 120 vac out), and not to the converter (120 vac in, 12 vdc out).

I would guess that you are referring to the 120 vac output cable, and not to the 12 vdc input. What make and model of the inverter? What is the rated output? Is it modified sine wave or pure sine wave? Can you describe the symptoms? Have you measured the DC input voltage? Measure this both with the inverter turned on, and turned off. Have you have confirmed that you actually have 120 vac on the output?

From there, we can begin to track down the problem.

Joel

I don't have the schematics but I did have a similar issue with a camper once. The inverter kept showing a fault. It ended up being a bad battery. It may not be your issue but worth mentioning. Good luck!
Ok I will check that when I’m at the rv again (maybe in the am) thst would be such a simple fix for sure !!
On many RVs, schematics just don't exist. Hopefully, yours is not one of those. In either case, the problem should not be terribly difficult to track down. First, lets confirm that you are actually referring to the inverter (12 vdc in, 120 vac out), and not to the converter (120 vac in, 12 vdc out).

I would guess that you are referring to the 120 vac output cable, and not to the 12 vdc input. What make and model of the inverter? What is the rated output? Is it modified sine wave or pure sine wave? Can you describe the symptoms? Have you measured the DC input voltage? Measure this both with the inverter turned on, and turned off. Have you have confirmed that you actually have 120 vac on the output?

From there, we can begin to track down the problem.

Joel
Hey Joel. It’s the inverter. Like we said we took it out and plugged it into our friends rv and it worked just fine. So we were thinking it’s the wire or cord running the length of the rv we assume. So when I go there tommorow I will let you know what I see. Actually who am I kidding, I’m gonna show these responses to my husband and he can see what your talking about and I’ll respond back. I appreciate both responses and we really need to get to the bottom of this. And yes our schematics can not be sent from fleetwood cause they don’t exist anymore the new company REV said they don’t have them either. So….. stay tuned.

OK, so the inverter itself works and the problem is either its input (battery power) or the output (the RV wiring). Make sure the inverter is receiving at least 12.0v from the battery (12.6v is a fully charged battery) when shore power is disconnected. If not, you have found the problem. A blown fuse between battery and inverter would be a nice simple fix, eh?

That "cable" goes to a circuit breaker panel that in turn feeds various branch circuits & outlets in the coach. Your husband should be able to identify those (the ones that don't work, right?) and thus the panel where the power from the inverter ends. He should also be able to measure (with a voltmeter) the power coming out of the inverter and again at the end of that cable(wire).

It would help us if you described what doesn't work, e.g. are there error lights or message, or do some outlets simply not get power? And also identify the make & model of inverter.

I'm confused. An inverter isn't something that you can simply "unplug" and plug into a different RV. It would be close to the batteries, and connected to them with some very hefty cables.

Are you certain that you aren't talking about the converter? It would most likely be located close the the power distribution/ circuit breaker panel.

Can you provide a photo? Preferably, it should show all wires and/or cables going in or out, You may need two photos.

Joel

OK, so the inverter itself works and the problem is either its input (battery power) or the output (the RV wiring). Make sure the inverter is receiving at least 12.0v from the battery (12.6v is a fully charged battery) when shore power is disconnected. If not, you have found the problem. A blown fuse between battery and inverter would be a nice simple fix, eh?

That "cable" goes to a circuit breaker panel that in turn feeds various branch circuits & outlets in the coach. Your husband should be able to identify those (the ones that don't work, right?) and thus the panel where the power from the inverter ends. He should also be able to measure (with a voltmeter) the power coming out of the inverter and again at the end of that cable(wire).

It would help us if you described what doesn't work, e.g. are there error lights or message, or do some outlets simply not get power? And also identify the make & model of inverter.
My husband is a handy guy for sure. He certainly can do this. And we will check it out tommorow. I’ll keep ya posted 🙃

Horned Owl raise a good question. The similar names [INverter vs CONverter] too often leads to a mistaken identification that sends us off guessing in the wrong direction. Giving us the actual make & model of the unit in question both identifies its exact function and tells us more about how it is hooked into the RV electrical system.

My husband is a handy guy for sure. He certainly can do this. And we will check it out tommorow. I’ll keep ya posted 🙃
Everything in the fuse area is good. .the actuality remote inverter panel on the command center doesn’t work, ya know where you go to check on the water levels and see the generator and battery levels . So we figure it’s a cable.

Which cable is it? What kind of connector does it have
Most (not all) inverter cables are very common. one looks like a common cable and frankly it is the same wire and connectors... but NOT same cable, convversion is simple however.

The cable to the remote panel to the inverter looks like a telephone modular cable. But I think it's wired differently I had problems with it. Those thin gold wires lose their tension and connected intermittently. I did something (can't remember what I did) to apply pressure to maintain contact. That was 9 years ago and my inverter has worked fine since that. My inverter is a Xantrex Pro 1000.

Which cable is it? What kind of connector does it have
Most (not all) inverter cables are very common. one looks like a common cable and frankly it is the same wire and connectors... but NOT same cable, convversion is simple however.
It looks similar to a telephone cord.

The cable to the remote panel to the inverter looks like a telephone modular cable. But I think it's wired differently I had problems with it. Those thin gold wires lose their tension and connected intermittently. I did something (can't remember what I did) to apply pressure to maintain contact. That was 9 years ago and my inverter has worked fine since that. My inverter is a Xantrex Pro 1000.
😲😲😲 seems like we have the same connection or connector. Well I certainly will have a look at that today.

Ah that's the one. Yes the ends are the same RJ connector used for phones but ONE of them is put on backwards.. You an convert a phone cable two ways

ONE Lay the cable down with a weight to insure it does not turn over or tape it to something. . lay it with the TAB UP I think Cut the end off and put on a new end TAB DOWN. (Do not turn the cable over)
The other way is to cut the cable and reconnect the wires after flipping one end.. The Replace end (on this type of cable) is the easiest way.

OK, so we are talking about the cable that attaches the remote panel, not the power to the inverter outlets. Please identify the make & model of the remote panel and the inverter - that info is now crucial to a solution! The cable to the remote may be either a phone-type or a LAN-type, and sometimes are wired in a non-standard configuration. The make & model will help us figure that out.

You should be able to operate the inverter from its own front panel, at least for basic function. Is it working, i.e. providing power in your RV? It did ok when you tried it on another RV, right?

Before putting a new cable in try adding some tension to the skinny gold wires in the plug. Get a small crochet hook under each wire and gently lift it up to give it more spring tension. BTW the end at the remote panel was the guilty party in my case.

Sorry for delay response. We are running and electrical business. We ended up ordering a new inverter and remote. We haven’t installed either yet.

OK, so we are talking about the cable that attaches the remote panel, not the power to the inverter outlets. Please identify the make & model of the remote panel and the inverter - that info is now crucial to a solution! The cable to the remote may be either a phone-type or a LAN-type, and sometimes are wired in a non-standard configuration. The make & model will help us figure that out.

You should be able to operate the inverter from its own front panel, at least for basic function. Is it working, i.e. providing power in your RV? It did ok when you tried it on another RV, right?
Sorry for delayed response. We ended up ordering a new inverter and the remote panel. Haven’t installed yet. Cause we have a business to run. And now we are on a road trip headed to nc and then to Massachusetts

Back
Top Bottom