Inverter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou,

Any reason you're starting the generator with the inverter batteries? I try to discourage people from doing that because, when the inverter batteries are down, you need the generator to recharge them. If they're down, they might not start the generator. If space allows (which it usually doesn't on a coach), I recommend a separate battery for the generator. If no space, start it with the chassis battery.

Tom,

I'm not sure why my coach is wired that way?  Or maybe something just isn't working the way it's supposed to.

It's a '97 Bounder if that helps any.

I just remember hitting the ignition and hearing the dreaded click and solenoid chatter. (My emergency start switch has never worked to assist in starting, so that was no help).  After I got my heart out of my throat, I started the generator and did the charging routine.  After about five minutes, with the charger still installed, the coach would start.

I didn't attempt to charge the toad battery until I got to Valdez.

I'm headed to my coach wiring diagrams as soon I finish typing.  You just screwed my thinking cap down a notch...

lou

Lou,

Some coaches are wired that way. For some reason, I read that, in your case, you'd wired it that way. In either case, it should be easy to change it.

Tom,
I just checked the diagrams and from what I can tell it's intentionally wired that way.

As you say, easy enough to change.

I think I'll do just that, even though it appears that if my emergency switch/solenoid worked correctly, it would bridge the two batteries together.  If one were really dead however, that may not always be a good thing. 

Something to ponder this winter.  Thanks for the suggestion.

lou

Lou,

You're right about the emergency start switch/solenoid.

Tom said:
Any reason you're starting the generator with the inverter batteries? ..... I recommend a separate battery for the generator. If no space, start it with the chassis battery.

Great point Tom.  I never even thought about needing yet another battery for a generator.  I guess I need to ask the NuWa folks if the optional genset comes with its own battery.

Gary

You can always jump start from your tow vehicle (or from the toad, with a motorhome). Jumper cables are still the old stand-by for emergencies and they don't cost much or take a lot of room. Mine live under the front seat of the toad.

Lou,
I think I'll do just that, even though it appears that if my emergency switch/solenoid worked correctly, it would bridge the two batteries together.  If one were really dead however, that may not always be a good thing.
What's wrong with that? Like Gary said, surely you've jump started a car with a totally dead battery.

RV Roamer said:
You can always jump start from your tow vehicle (or from the toad, with a motorhome). Jumper cables are still the old stand-by for emergencies and they don't cost much or take a lot of room. Mine live under the front seat of the toad.

Mine are always in the toad as well. However, about 4 years ago I put 4 new Michelin's on my Jeep. I got them at CostCo in Reno. As a promotional thing, Michelin was including on a purchase of 4 tires a battery starter plus air compressor unit. They were going for about $65 at CostCo otherwise.

Anyway -- I can't believe how handy that has been. For example, in QZ year before last my Jeep battery went South and would not hold a charge at all. I bungeed the starter unit to my front bumper and ran the leads to the battery. That allowed my to get to an outlet to buy a new battery and back to my rig. When I do need a jump on the Jeep -- I don't have to stand there holding my jumper cables hoping someone will stop and help me out. But more often, I have been able to help others that need a jump.

Sometimes on cold nights I have let the furnace run down my house batteries and am very cold and self chastising when there is not enough left to start the Genset. However, I am not anxious in that situation because I have a chassis battery, a Jeep battery, and my battery starter unit. If all those are dead, I deserve to be cold and stranded. :)

Heck, I've been known to jump 2 or 3 cars in one night after a special event,  Using my original jump starter thing

Now it rides in the MH hooked to the AGM's (since that is as close as I get to gel cell charge settings) and I've had to use it a few times this summer on my towed.  I think I figured out the problem with the towed and will fix when I get to nicer weather (Add one ralay and a fused line to the linier amp for the dual band radio,,, That should fix it)

Any recommendations on brand, type, size of inverter for Georgetown 31ft Class A, I want to run small items without running the generator, IE. coffee pot, tv while traveling, lights. thanks for any help

Most any inverter will do the job - the challenge is to correctly estimating the size (watts) needed to support your load and estimating and installing enough battery(s) (amp hours) to operate the inverter between battery re-charges. Inverters suck a LOT of amps form the battery bank - it takes 10 12 VDC amps to produce 1  amp @ 120VAC.

For a few uses you may want to have a pure sine wave inverter, e.g. the Xantrex Prosine.  Certain types of transformers (in some battery chargers) and some sensitive electronics may need pure sine wave, otherwise modified sine, which is what most inverters supply, will do fine.

Since your rig already has a converter/charger, you could install a standalone inverter. You will also have to wire in a transfer switch so that you can guarantee the inverter and shore/genset never, ever try to power the same circuit at the same time. If that should ever happen, really bad things will occur!  Frankly, it's easier to install a combined inverter/charger/transfer switch such as the Xantrex RS2000, but it also costs a lot more than a standalone inverter. A side benefit, however, is that you get a good three stage charger in the package.

Ned is correct - do not try to install a system that will handle an airconditioner.  Too many batteries needed and a dedicated 2500 watt or larger inverter to run it.  The motorhomes that run no propane will have two 2500 watt inverters and carry a ton of batteries - high grade chargers just to handle the heating, refrigeration, water heating etc.  Even they depend on the genset to run the airconditioner.

Very sage advice from both Ned and Fred. Air conditioners, and to a lesser extent microwaves and coffee makers, are not an inverter and batteries best friends. While an occasional pot of coffee won't do any serious harm, deep cycle batteries like those found in motorhomes are not designed to handle large current draws, and will quickly die a premature death if called upon to do so. Get a decent size generator (minimum 2kW) for the larger jobs during the day( a/c, coffee) and to charge your batteries for those nighttime things like t.v. and reading.   

Karl:

Don't tell our 4 T-105's that, they have been making coffee for 2 1/2 years and so far are like new. ;) ;)

Karl,

Come on now, our coffee maker only draws 100amps when it first starts but quickly drops to about 80!! :) The good thing is it is a short period of time compared to many other operations. If we are going to use the microwave for an extended period we will start the genset.

Karl

I'm with Jim on this. I always try to have enough juice in the batteries before going to bed at nite so I can make coffee in the morning while still in the quiet hours. At lunch time on the road, Marlene will run the microwave for one or two minutes on battery, anything above that we run the generator. We have 4 6v AGM batteries and they stay above 50% at all times.

I can make a pot of coffee and some toast using the inverter, just not at the same time.  Initial current draw of the coffee maker is about 100A but the warmer only draws a lesser current intermittently.  The microwave will work too, but I limit it to 2-3 minutes at most.

You weren't all wet, Karl.  4x T105s can easily do coffee or toast, but many coaches have only a pair of batteries (most gas rigs, for example, and some of the entry level diesels too). Trailers often have only one and ditto for some Class C's. With 1-2 batteries (85-220 amp hours), it doesn't take long for a 100 amp load to eat the heart out of a battery. In fact, a 100A load on 1-2 batteries will usually cause the inverter to soon shut down due to low voltage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom