Inyokern,CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
We have been in Inyokern, CA since Friday. It's a very small town just west of Ridgecrest which boasts the main gate to China Lake, the US Navy's Air Weapons Development Center. We settled on this town as it is between Death Valley to the east and Sequoia National Forest to the west. The drive to DV is about 120 miles and Sequoia is about 83. I'll have reports on both in future posts.

The town originally was Siding 16 which the Southern Pacific called it while laying track from Mojave to Owens Valley. It was later named Magnolia but they again changed it to Inyokern because of it's proximity to the Inyo and Kern county lines. There are several things to do in the area and many off road trails on BLM land where the flowers are magnificent. The roads aren't like those in QZ but, with the flowers as they are, it is a pleasant drive and pretty easy terrain.

When we arrived we could see the high desert floor was covered in yellow with some purple and white mixed in. As we have seen in other locations, the flowers are just everywhere. I've attached a couple of photos of what we are experiencing here.

Ridgecrest is a larger town with plenty of shopping available and the ubiquitous Starbucks is located at a shopping mall on Rt. 178. The only problem we have experienced is you cannot drive more than a couple of miles before the butterflies start to commit suicide on your windshield!!!

Two places we have visited in the area are the Trona Pinnacles and Red Rock Canyon as well as Death Valley. I'll post on these later.

Attachments

• High Desert Carpet, Inyo County,CA (Small).jpg
    High Desert Carpet, Inyo County,CA (Small).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Thistle Sage (Small).jpg
    Thistle Sage (Small).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Notch-Leaf Phacelia (Small).jpg
    Notch-Leaf Phacelia (Small).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 19
Jim Dick said:
We have been in Inyokern, CA since Friday. It's a very small town just west of Ridgecrest which boasts the main gate to China Lake, the US Navy's Air Weapons Development Center. We settled on this town as it is between Death Valley to the east and Sequoia National Forest to the west. The drive to DV is about 120 miles and Sequoia is about 83. I'll have reports on both in future posts.

Two places we have visited in the area are the Trona Pinnacles and Red Rock Canyon as well as Death Valley. I'll post on these later.

Jim,

I'm trying to picture in my mind how you can get from Inyokern to Sequoia NP in 83 miles.  The part that I understood you were interested in seeing - the Sequoia Gigantea forest - is on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains and I don't think that there are any roads open across the mountains this time of year from CA-58 on the south to I-80 on the north.  Perhaps I'm missing something ???.

As usual your pictures are great.  Keep them coming  ;D .

Have enjoyed looking at your pics, Jim.  I particularly liked the--oh darn, I can't get back to see the name of the file without losing this post; but the name had "carpet" in it and the picture showed a carpet of yellow.

Ciao,

Doug

Jim

>>you cannot drive more than a couple of miles before the butterflies start to commit suicide on your windshield!!!<<

Wildflowers = butterfly's.<G>

Terry
At Sierra Vista, AZ

Jim

>>you cannot drive more than a couple of miles before the butterflies start to commit suicide on your windshield!!!<<

Wildflowers = butterflys.<G>

Terry
At Sierra Vista, AZ

Hi Terry,

Unfortunately it's true wildflowers= butterflys. The wildflowers here are prolific as are the butterflies. Must have cleaned at least a dozen or more off the windshield this morning and that doesn't include the 3 dozen or more on the grill!!!!

Fewer today as it was very windy and rainy.

Jim

>>Fewer today as it was very windy and rainy.<<

The front end & windshield was covered on the drive today from Sierra Vista to Yuma.

Got our mail today & you & Pat are in big trouble for sending that gift certificate.<G>

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Terry A. Brewer said:
The front end & windshield was covered on the drive today from Sierra Vista to Yuma.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Welcome back Terry and Betty.  Hope to see you soon.

Hi Terry & Betty,

Glad you are back home safe. We enjoyed our visit with you and you'll have to catch us before you can do anything.(G) Ooops, maybe we'll have to skip Moab!(G)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom