iPad... discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I am in the market for an iPad (for my 11yo son with autism), most likely the iPad 2 due to the many recommendations I've had for that model in particular.  I'm getting the idea that the iPad 2 is the best blend of operating system + features, without paying for something brand new.

Disclaimer: I am not what I refer to as an "iSlave" as most of American society happens to be these days.  ;)  No iPhone, no iPod, no iMac, no iBook (did I just make that up?) in my collection of electronics.  I think they're highly overrated.  But it's also put me behind the curve of familiarity with these various devices.  All that said, the iPad has emerged as a leader in technology for special needs kids, especially those with autism.

We do not need the 3G version of any generation, and we would be interested in extended warranties that cover drops/spills.  A refurbished or even used unit could be fine, IF a decent warranty was still available.

So I'm looking for any likes, dislikes, places to buy, places to avoid, must-have accessories, where to find best value, and anything else you can think of discussing related to iPads.

Discuss!  :)

Apple offers refurbished iPad2's, but don't expect bargain prices:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Are there apps that are designed for use by children like your son?  If so, I would use those as the criteria for choosing a tablet.  Were the recommendations made with this purpose in mind?  As for used iPads, as Tom says, don't expect any bargains.  Used iAnythings are still way more expensive than the alternative devices, but if they are what you need, then you have little choice.

A couple weeks ago apple unveiled the mini ipad and also surprised many with a new version of the ipad, this is number 4. The previous one was called the "new ipad" but in the real world many refer to it as the 3. The 3rd version was a huge leap from the 2 with the biggest change being a far better screen. They have also upgraded the operating system which works well with the 3 and has partial functionality with the 2.

If you get a 2 you are not getting the previous model, you are getting two versions ago. I think you will be much better off starting  with a 3 and not the 2.

The one most compelling reason to get an ipad rather than an android tablet is the apps. There are a great many more and better ones for the ipad.

The one most compelling reason to get an ipad rather than an android tablet is the apps. There are a great many more and better ones for the ipad.

That hasn't been true for a long time.  And Scott's compelling reason would be if the apps he needs for his son are only available for the iPad.  If they are only available for Android, that also makes the decision for him.

Ned, I have not been an "apple nut" by any means. I have a droid smartphone for a few years and love it. There are quite a few apps that I like and use regularly. There are also a ton of apps that could be nice but they are so buggy that they can be mostly useless. A quick review of googles play store shows rating and reviews of the apps available, many are junk.

Apple has tight control over app developers, maybe to a fault. This past June a broke down and bought an ipad, the thing is awesome as are the apps. I still really like the droid phone but ipad apps are WAY better in my opinion.

Totally agree about Scott's special needs for his son.

Having lived thru this with granddaughter the compelling reasons for using Apple products is that most every school system in the nation has special programs designed for special needs children,  thus, IPad is the product of choice. First off you might look into a grant from your school?  DD got a grant for granddaughters ipad3 so it cost her nothing.
As to your other question, NO do not get a 3G  enabled tablet.  First problem, you will have to pay a monthly connection fee for it on either Verizon or AT&T network.  Just get the wifi model of your choice.  This will allow you to connect to your home wifi network when necessary.  Good luck in what you get.  BTW apple store dies sell the I2 for about 50 dollars off the original price.  So it is very little difference.  Since there is a I4 coming very soon, likely before Christmas, you could hold off for a few weeks to see what bargains the I3 will be.

The upside of Apple iOS apps is that they work well, work together in a complimentary fashion, and work harmoniously with most all other Apple products (Macs, Apple tv, etc.). The downside is that they only work the one way Apple thinks they should work, and if you would prefer something a bit different, you are out of luck.  Android apps, OTOH, have all kinds of choices and variations, but sometimes get a bit wild and wooly if you get away from mainstream apps.

I recommend iOS devices to those friends & family whom I think will be better served by the smooth cohesiveness of those products and Android devices to those who like a bit of variety and can handle the occasional tech wrinkle. Or for whom price is the most compelling issue.

All I can add is durability.  I have an original iPad that I received the first day they were available.  No problems ever.  This iPad has served as an auto GPS, I have used in on my boat, and it has been dropped and used by many people.

Now it is a dinosaur of course, but still good for eMail, and the web and still works like it was new.

Go for it.

Latest and greatest version isn't really necessary, but a camera is a must-have and I think those weren't an option until the iPad 2.  If the 4 is coming out soon, I can wait and see what happens to 3 prices... although I'm not optimistic.  Like mentioned above, school systems everywhere (including my son's and his special ed classroom) use iPads, so as much as I'd like to go with another, cheaper device - I think the app conflicts would be troublesome.

donn, do you have any info on what kind of grant was used for your granddaughter's iPad?  We've asked some teachers about this option, and they all have heard of such programs but don't know the how & who of applying.  Another option for us is having medical insurance pay a portion of the cost (since autism is a medical diagnosis), under the "assistive technology" umbrella ... similar to an asthmatic being provided a nebulizer.

Lots of things to consider!

Sorry Scott, All I know is DD applied through the school or it was sponsored by the school.  Not really sure, but they did get a voucher for 400 dollars so it was off to best buy for her ipad3  Might have been some federal money offered through the school?

Scott-

A couple of thoughts from an iPad owner.  My wife, my daughter and I each have one.  The daughter and I each have what I guess is the iPad 3 (came out last winter).  The wife has the previous generation.  We all just use wifi, no 3G.

1)  The camera and the screen resolution are both much better on the 3.  Other than that, not much difference.
2)  Make sure you get some kind of protective cover.
3)  If you buy new, I strongly recommend buying through Sam's Club i.  The sale price is only a few dollars cheaper, but Sam's extended warranties are actually very reasonably priced.  We have used it on both an iPod and iPad to replace broken screens with no problems.
4)  The price varies based on memory.  You may be able to get by with the least expensive version, if you don't plan on filling it up with movies.  I know some of that stuff can be stored using the "iCloud", but I have no idea how that actually works.

I was an iPad skeptic at first.  Considered it a $5-600 toy.  But I got one to take with me to Afghanistan and now use it all the time.  I rarely fire up my home laptop any more.  Of course it's still kind of a $600 toy.  ;D

Does anyone know what the I4 offers that the I 3 doesn't?  I know it has a different plug.

The 4 has the following improvements over the 3;
Faster processor
Faster wi-fi
Improved cellular LTE
Upgraded front an rear cameras
Lightning connector

The prices for each version are the same, ie; no price increase. Maybe apple will offer discounts on the 3 like they did on the 2 once the 3 came out.

Scott-

My wife is an aide in a special needs classroom in Illinois.  They use iPads in their classroom with their kinda. I asked her if she knew about grants for purchasing iPads for home use she said she did and some of the parents did it.

She had her teacher send her the grant information. If you will pm me with your email I will forward it on to you.

I pretty much decided to get my wife the I-pad.  Do I really need the 32 gb version or is the 16 gb large enough.  She will not be loading music on it.  She will be taking pictures, some games and light web surfing.  She isn't very technical capable. (I'm not either)  Is it difficult to move pictures from your other cameras to the I-pad?  We are only interested in the wi-fi version.  We don't have a data plan.

Thanks for your help.

Lowell said:
I pretty much decided to get my wife the I-pad.  Do I really need the 32 gb version or is the 16 gb large enough.  She will not be loading music on it.  She will be taking pictures, some games and light web surfing.  She isn't very technical capable. (I'm not either)  Is it difficult to move pictures from your other cameras to the I-pad?  We are only interested in the wi-fi version.  We don't have a data plan.

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you are pretty much using yours the same as we are using ours.  We just got the wifi only 16GB version, and it is doing us just fine.  The games don't take up much room, so you can get a lot on there.  The music and/or pictures is what takes up the room.  I think you'll be fine with the 16GB version as well.

Movies and videos take up the most space. Photos next, then music. Some apps are rather large, but most are really small. Photo editing (iPhoto) and music editing (GarageBand) both have "products" of their use that are large. I used to run out of my space on my iPhone when I was carrying around a lot of my music collection. Now with the iMatch service $20/yr, I have access to all my music (50 gigs or so) anytime, anywhere - and I store much less of it locally. I am just starting to buy movies and TV series through iTunes - and that is eating the most space now. I would say that all things considered, the double the space for $100 more is well worth it and makes this device a little more future proof.

I absolutely love my iPad. It is with me most of the time - although I take the majority of my pictures with my iPhone. The PhotoStream part of iCloud ensures that all my pictures are immediate available on all my devices immediately. Not sure what your "other cameras" are, but I assume they load their photos on a Mac or PC via a cable. You can easily install the iCloud components on a PC (they are built into the Mac already). If you dump you other camera pictures into your PhotoStream folder on your PC, it will sync automatically to the iPad, over the Internet. Really quite amazing. Obviously, if you just get the WiFi version, you'll have to be connected to a router connected to the Internet for all this to work, properly.

If anybody wants my iPad, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands...

Mylo

I guess another question would be how difficult is it to remove data from your I-pad?  If we only get the one with 16GB, and it starts to get full, can I remove some of the older data we have stored on it?

Back
Top Bottom