iPod settlement update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Got my long-awaited settlement form for the iPod battery litigation.  In order to get the battery replaced, they want $30 for postage and handling.  After they get the money, they send a self-address mailer.  Then the iPod has to be sent in for some indeterminate time to have the battery replaced.  Considering the hundreds of thousands of these letters going out, it could be a long wait.  They started mailing the letters in April, and mine arrived in June.  I can imagine how much longer it takes to change the batteries than just stuffing envelopes, so this could be a long project.  And not worth the big cash layout.  I thought we'd be able to take the iPod into an Apple store, assuming there is one available, and have them replace the battery. 

I just recharge the battery after every couple hours' use.

--pat

Pat said:
Got my long-awaited settlement form for the iPod battery litigation.? In order to get the battery replaced, they want $30 for postage and handling.? ?After they get the money, they send a self-address mailer.? Then the iPod has to be sent in for some indeterminate time to have the battery replaced.? Considering the hundreds of thousands of these letters going out, it could be a long wait.? They started mailing the letters in April, and mine arrived in June.? ?I can imagine how much longer it takes to change the batteries than just stuffing envelopes, so this could be a long project.? And not worth the big cash layout.? I thought we'd be able to take the iPod into an Apple store, assuming there is one available, and have them replace the battery.?

I just recharge the battery after every couple hours' use.

--pat

Which iPod is that, Pat.  I got mine a few months back (the 30g video) and the battery seems to be fine. Plus I have not received a letter of any kind. Can see why that would take along time get updated -- maybe waiting until the rush is over, but before your time runs out.

Other than the fact that it is an Apple product, am very pleased so far with the player. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with WMP -- and I have grown to hate iTunes. Part of that is because I hate Apple to begin with, part is because I'm so used to WMP, but also, the functionality I find very cumbersome. And the other jewel is how it constantly tries to take over all media stuff on my computer.

That said, the sound and volumn of stuff I can store on this puppy -- plus the interface being very easy to work with, I don't regret the purchase.

Bob:  This iPod class action litigation started at least a couple years ago and applies only to iPods from back then which have batteries that don't begin to last the 10 hours they advertised.  Mine lasts about 3 1/2.  I had to download the application for participation in the settlement and mail it in by June 2006 or something like that.  Then they started mailing the settlement claim forms to hundreds of thousands of qualified owners who submitted the applications.  In other words, your newer product is probably not part of the settlement and most likely has the newer, better battery. 

I don't like iTunes and find it unintuitive, confusing, and cumbersome to manage.  I don't use any of their online service.  I don't like that iTunes has to load stuff in Windows to run all the time.  I probably use iTunes less than a handful of times a year, so I disable their running programs in msconfig.  If I forget that it's turned off and try to use iTunes, it tries to reinstall itself. 

I have a 40gb iPod.  I have all my music CDs plus maybe a dozen audio books at a time on it.  I like to have my choice of everything and can't be bothered loading and unloading music before I use it, so anything smaller isn't practical.  The iPod's menu system isn't too practical either.  The best MP3 player I ever had, except for its larger, heavier size, was a 20gb Personal Jukebox.  They aren't sold anymore, but they were about the first available. 

--pat

Back
Top Bottom