Ironing boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Where do you stow them on a 40 foot pusher?  The Admiral is not real happy about having to go outside to get one every time she irons.  And she does not want one of those little collapsible ones.

I told her that is all part of fulltiming.  When I saw the look on her face I quickly added she could send me outside to get it.  She still looked unhappy.

Can anyone bail me out or is this just a hard fact of fulltiming?

What's an ironing board? ;D  We have wash and wear.

Smoky said:
Where do you stow them on a 40 foot pusher?? The Admiral is not real happy about having to go outside to get one every time she irons.? And she does not want one of those little collapsible ones.

I told her that is all part of fulltiming.? When I saw the look on her face I quickly added she could send me outside to get it.? She still looked unhappy.

Like Ned said whats an ironing board.  :D Sam has a small one that sits on top of the counter when she uses it.  The only time she uses it is for pressing while she is working on her quilting projects. 

One of the missing features in most if not all RV's is an ironing board.  Most people who use an ironing board in an RV buy the miniature version which is around 2 - 3 feet long with folding legs.  A good place to stow it is under the couch, under the bed or in a closet.  A method that holds loose items against a wall is to use a couple kithen style metal handles and a long piece of 1 or 2 inch wide velcro that goes around the item.

Anyone have any other clever ways to stow an ironing board?

A thick towel on the dining table makes a decent ironing board for a quick touch-up job.  We also carry one of the little 30 inch ones in a bay, but it seldom gets used unless Nancy is making something new on the sewing machine and needs to press new seams flat.

The ironing board thing is symptomatic of the many small lifestyle changes you are going tol encounter. The Admiral may discard her" need to iron" after a year or two. Or you may find you need to prioritize space for an ironing board (and steam iron too) much higher than you ever imagined.  You can be sure you will be doing things differently a few years down the road, but it is far too soon to predict what will change and how, so go with the flow for now.

My coach came with a small one that slid onto the edge of the table. I eventually threw it away after fruitlessly trying to give it away.

As Ned said what is an ironing board.  I gave up ironing years ago when my kids outgrew their clothes before they got ironed.

Smoky said:
The Admiral is not real happy about having to go outside to get one every time she irons.  And she does not want one of those little collapsible ones.
I told her that is all part of fulltiming.  When I saw the look on her face I quickly added she could send me outside to get it.  She still looked unhappy.

Smoky, 

You may want to talk with the Admiral about all the changes in your lifestyle before purchasing the new rig.  The ironing board is just one of many compromises that she will have to put up with.  More than one fulltimer has taken a beating on the sale of a rig when they decided a real house was more important than they originally thought.  :)

Phil

Where do you stow them on a 40 foot pusher??

My motorhome came with a small ironing board which slides in to the bread board area after you remove it.? It is stored along the back of a closet wall.? I think I have used it 3 times in 6 years.? If I need to press anything I use a pad on top of the bed that was designed for that purpose.? It stores under the mattress.? It has a backing which shields any heat from going through to the bed covers.? I think I have used it 3 times.? The lifestyle just doesn't seem to need that "just pressed look" anymore.? Another way to stay pressed is to squeeze so many clothes into your closet that the sheer weight of them keeps everything? pressed.? This does not work if you travel on many curvy roads.

Betty

LOL Betty, your message sure gave me more than a chuckle, more like a loud laugh.

BTW either they either gave you a large breadboard or a small ironing board  ;D

Ironing boards are legal in RVs?  When I retired and sold my condo and moved into my Chinook fulltime, I said an iron would not cross my threshold.  I don't even FOLD stuff.  Well, except t-shirts.  People in the laundry room watch me, appalled.  I do sort stuff in separate grocery bags before I toss it all in large garbage bags to haul home.  Then I dump each grocery bag in the approprite drawer on onto the right shelf. 

--pat

Smoky said:
Where do you stow them on a 40 foot pusher?  The Admiral is not real happy about having to go outside to get one every time she irons.  And she does not want one of those little collapsible ones.

Howdy, Smokey.
I have been fulltiming now for 11 years. I got rid of the big ironing board plus there are very few things that I iron. But I do have that little collapsible ironing board and it is stored in the Jack's clothles closet. Fulltiming lends itself well to wash and wear stuff. :)

Regards,
Liz

The one of a few things the boss wouldn`t do without is a full size board.Ours is stored in the bedroom while on site
and in the side locker when traveling.I love freshly ironed bed linen and she irons everything just like home,what would i do without her

Ian

The ladies of this forum might need to have a talk with your other half.

Ian H said:
The one of a few things the boss wouldn`t do without is a full size board.Ours is stored in the bedroom while on site
and in the side locker when traveling.I love freshly ironed bed linen and she irons everything just like home,what would i do without her

Iron the linens, if you find out it still matters when you have to do it yourself.

LOL!

We really enjoyed reading this thread!

Well, I first want to thank Ian for his message.  We were getting pelted pretty hard (with a good sense of humor) about our upcoming life style changes.  Heheh.  We know there will be some shocks for us, that is all part of the excitement.  And I bet each of you enjoyed some twists and turns as well before you become so wise.

Also I assured the Admiral that each of you have your own special "quirks", Like Maureen & Bernie and their dishwasher, Tom and his obsessive dump schedule at cocktail time, and Ian's linens. 

Sharon is delighted to know she at least has a fellow traveler out there (thank you Ian) carrying a full sized ironing board.  I am just going to keep the trash can ready for the day she finally decides to part with it.  Until then we will enjoy those freshly ironed linens ( aren't I lucky?) and look weird when we sit with you in our pressed jeans at the campfires.

I really love this forum and can't wait to begin meeting each of you in person, despite your wrinkled clothes!  :)

Hey!  We ARE making progress.  We did indeed end up deciding on a coach WITHOUT an energy management system lol!

Smoky,

We have also enjoyed helping you in your preparation to see the country and enjoy the lifestyle RVing has to offer. We are looking forward to meeting you guys.  Hope you get to stop by Sam's Camp in Lewistown, Mt on your way to the new address in MT.

Phew! Between the ironing board and the toad, I thought we might have gone too far this time Smoky, and that you'd quit talking to us. You're just one heck of a sport, and it sounds like the Admiral is also. I'm very much looking forward to meeting the two of you in person, and I'm sure we'll have some great times talking about your research around the campfire. Of course, you'll be instantly recognizable when you turn up at your reserved full hookup site in Qz wearing neatly pressed jeans.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom