Is a battery box necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanka

I have a Weekend Warrior travel trailer. I have 2 6 volt batteries in a camco box. I also have 3 propane tanks and all of this is covered with a fiberglass cover. I want to add 2 more batteries and my mechanic says he can do it if we remove the case for the original 2 an then place all four batteries on a little shelf on the tongue with no boxes. All of this will be covered with the fiberglass cover. Does this sound ok?

As long as that fiberglass cover keeps the elements off them, and will protect from a flying rock or road debris, I'd say sure, nothing special about a battery box.

Thanks for your input. That’s what I was thinking. I was worried about the temperatures, high and low. Not that we are going to plant ourselves in the middle of the attic, but it does get cold in some areas of the US when you don’t expect it, like Texas.

Most Motorhomes have the house and chassis batteries exposed to the air, so your batteries in your trailer won't be any different than those in a MH.

BTW, how old are your 2 existing batteries? If they are a year or more older or have not been maintained at a full charge then the capacity of the old batteries have diminished. Adding 2 new batteries in with the old batteries will basically limit the capacity of the new batteries to the old batteries.

It is best to only have matched sets of batteries.

I have a Weekend Warrior travel trailer. I have 2 6 volt batteries in a camco box. I also have 3 propane tanks and all of this is covered with a fiberglass cover. I want to add 2 more batteries and my mechanic says he can do it if we remove the case for the original 2 an then place all four batteries on a little shelf on the tongue with no boxes. All of this will be covered with the fiberglass cover. Does this sound ok?
YES

I like to have batteries under a cover for security reasons but you can use quarter inch plywood and 1x1s (or 1x2's to make a custom box (use the 1x1's in the corner and 1/2 inch screws to assemble the box) keeps them clean and if any acid should leak quarter inch stock si...cheep (get it from teh scrap bin)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OR-River-Runner
Back
Top Bottom