Is a generator chimney an option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Camped recently running diesel generator as campground elec service was single pha0sed. Folks in adjacent campsite came over and very politely said exhaust fumes from the gen were objectionable. We shut it down as that seemed a reasonable complaint.

Wondering if anyone has made a "chimney" i.e. a vertical extension of the gen exhaust pipe which might reduce or eliminate the problem? I know the added length will increase backpressure in the gen exhaust system and potentially make it run hotter or maybe even not all all.

Looking for comments from anyone that might've already "been there, done that."

thx
mark in MN

There are a number of home made options out there that people have built, for myself I opted to buy the commercial Gen-Turi product, when I caught it on sale (I think on ebay) a few years ago. Maybe it was on amazon as an open box amazon warehouse deal

I was at a balloon festival a few years ago and the clown next to me would run his gene a good part of the day. We were packed in fairly tight. I had extended my awning so we could sit out and be out of the sun But the exhaust was too much and the awning would direct it right to our door so we had to keep it closed. I got tired of it and went to the people running the event. They gave him three choices. Either buy the Gen-Turi, move to an area where there was no one around or leave. He wanted to stay right there because he had several friends near him so he went out and bought one. He was bulls$&t. No more exhaust issues the rest of the weekend.
While he was gone to the store his wife came over with a friend and apologized for the way her husband acted like a jerk. She was friendly all weekend and he never even looked at us. Broke my heart.
Point is they do work and does not affect the back pressure so I’m told. Where the pipe makes a bend to go up to the roof, there’s a opening which sucks in air thereby eliminate if the back pressure issue. Look it up. They are on EBay for $135.99 right now.

Last edited:
thx everyone. i figured it's been done before but a ready to go purchased one is even better.

As Rene says, back pressure isn't an issue. The name Gen-Turi is a clue (GENerator venTURI), and it uses the Venturi effect to lift the exhaust without needed an enclosed pipe at the turning spot -- sucks in outside air. Love mine.

Has anyone used a genturi on a portable generator? I just used my predator 3500 at a music festival but fortunately was able to exhaust mine towards the road. I know the genturi smokestack is supposed to suction cup to the side of your rv, is there a way to do this with a portable placed close enough to the trailer wall? Also how big is the opening for connecting to the exhaust? My generator exhaust is maybe the diameter of a quarter?

The Genturi website offers adapters in various diameters. If they don’t have your size, I imagine a muffler shop could help you out.
The two attach points serve to help support the weight as well as keeping the stack upright.

I bought an extra attach kit and fitted to the Aquahot exhaust as it too often was coming in the window by my desk which I often have open while working. (We rarely run genny and Aquahot ar same time but, if we ever have much need of that, I’ll buy another complete Genturi… the thing works great!)

Genturi all the way.. Found mine at a yard/estate sale $25.00 + new attachment kit from online for about $20.00

Surprised the stubborn fellow had not read the requirements for the Balloon Fiesta - clearly tells everyone to have an elevated exhaust for their genny.

Or, make your own for about $50. ABS pipe with coupling, 3/4 aluminum bar stock, 1" (I think) electrical conduit elbow and screw coupling, suction cups from harbor freight...

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.31.05 AM.png

We use our Gen-Turi regularly at festivals, and it's great. We've even been thanked by neighbors for being cool about it. Strongly and enthusiastically recommended!

Surprised the stubborn fellow had not read the requirements for the Balloon Fiesta - clearly tells everyone to have an elevated exhaust for their genny.

Or, make your own for about $50. ABS pipe with coupling, 3/4 aluminum bar stock, 1" (I think) electrical conduit elbow and screw coupling, suction cups from harbor freight...

View attachment 147968
This was a balloon festival in CT and I don’t know what the rules were.
Be careful if you make your own. You may end up with back pressure.

The Genturi in DOMO's post works very well. I have one and if you are near Flint, MI we can work it out, You will need an adapter but as someone said. Muffler shops can fabricate.

WHen my Rig was new 2 hours of run time set off my CO detector
After the Genturi 25 hours and all was good...
I did a few 25 hour runs for special events and a couple of 12 hour ones as well.

This was a balloon festival in CT and I don’t know what the rules were.
Be careful if you make your own. You may end up with back pressure.
Nah, it was it Rhode Island. Remember that guy who showed up with his fresh water tank empty and black tank full? He went to a RI state park to reverse the situation.

I had forgotten what state. Thanks for fixing me.
I was just thinking about this. When I got back to the festival after taking care of the water situation, I backed the motorhome onto the same tire tracks. No one even knew that we had left.

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. We were at a rally and wanted to be on the road at dawn, so I hit the dump station the night before and then backed onto our tracks again.

Camped recently running diesel generator as campground elec service was single pha0sed.
Single phased? It may have had limited amps but all RV shore power connections are "single phase" (technically, "split single phase"). Did you mean only 20A or 30A max capacity?

Most campgrounds that have electric hook-ups don't even allow generator usage, due to noise and fumes.

"Single phased?" my mistake. only one of the legs was hot so only 120v. was available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom