Is a RV CO2 detector same as house detector?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

My CO2 detector is old and needs replacing.  Is there a significant difference between a residential and a RV detector?  I can't figure out why they would be different.

They work the same, whether you mean 12vdc, 9v battery, or hardwired would be difference. :)

Or..... a propane detector, or a smoke detector, both very common in RV's. A propane detector  usually connected  on 12V, the others use a 9V battery. Make and model of the detector will tell you for sure exactly what it is. You don't want to get the wrong replacement.

In any case, the CO and LP detectors are the same as residential types. The smoke detectors are supposed to be  slightly better quality than residential models, primarily because of the typical heat & humidity encountered in RVs. There was a ANSI standard for RV smoke detectors, but I understand it is being re-written and the old one deemed obsolete, so no manufacturer is building an RV-sec smoke detector right now. The RV detector spec was essentially identical to the marine version, requiring testing for high humidity environments, so you could buy a marine-use smoke detector if you need one.

It is my understanding that there is no difference in smoke detection capability - just a reliability difference in high humidity environments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom