Is Anyone Happy With Their New Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COCJ

We have been looking to buy a new Class C motorhome. After looking at a bunch of online reviews it seems like everything built after 2019 is a piece of junk. We have been looking at Thor, Jayco, and Gulfstream. I have seen nothing but horrible reviews on all of them. Maybe it's just human nature to only write a review when you have had problems. Does anyone have any positive experiences with their new motorhome that they can share. Any advice would be appreciated.

Motorhomes are typically built fairly cheaply below a certain price point. You start to see much nicer, more “permanent” finishes starting around new MSRP’s of 300k and above. Poke around an entry box built on a Ford van chassis and then step into a Newmar and you’ll get a good taste of what I’m trying to say. That’s been the case for a very long time.

The good news, since the mid-2000’s or so, interior designs have caught up and are more modernized. Carpet is less of a thing, for durability. Tank sizes tend to be smaller. Cab accoutrements tend to be more spartan. Cheap build quality can be mitigated by care. Some of it can’t. You just can’t tow a lot with a Class C that’s saddled to its GVWR. And once particle-board cabinets get moisture in them, they’re toast.

Entry coaches tend to be built to near the limits of the vehicle chassis in terms of gross vehicle weight. A lot of money goes into larger and more robust chassis. Or the opposite- Mercedes/Sprinter chassis can be exceptionally built, although they are very small comparatively.

Mine is a little bit older, 2017, and I am happy with it since new.

2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J. Love my Particle Board Beauty.

2019 was last year WGO produced a Gasser. This Line is no longer produced. Was considered their Luxury C.

I personally would be leary of the Sprinter Diesels. Less Towing and Mercede$ means lots O Ca$h, if it breaks, as the dealer is probably going to do the work.

I am going to put my C up for sale in March. I'm Down here in Texas, 800 miles from the Rockies, Mint, 14,000 miles.

Send me a message if you are looking for 32 ft, triple slide.

What type of stuff are they saying? I would like some examples.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Most of the reviews complained about cheap build quality (cabinet doors and trim falling off) problems with the slides, plumbing leaks, roof leaks and leaks around the slides, and appliances that quit working after a couple of trips. Lot's of scary stuff!

Most of the reviews complained about cheap build quality (cabinet doors and trim falling off) problems with the slides, plumbing leaks, roof leaks and leaks around the slides, and appliances that quit working after a couple of trips. Lot's of scary stuff!
Well, I had my plumbing leak (toilet inlet connection needed to be tighter) but that wasn't a big deal.

My Awning kinda blew away and I had a jack pad fall off so far in my first long trip (7,000 miles) in this new RV.

I have TV cables from the outside that go nowhere that I have not yet been able to locate anywhere inside this RV. They obviously are not connected to anything.

And the issues I found right after I purchased this thing.

But this is a Class A.

What should we expect for only $167,500.00 these days?

I really like the way this thing drives, and I don't see any of the other stuff being a big deal. I guess I am used to things being flakey from the factory and things breaking. But I don't find such stuff to be anything new. Kinda expected, IMO.

If I do have any serious problems (such as a roof leak), I just hope I find them before the warranty expires.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

In many of the reviews, people also said that they had problems getting things fixed under warranty and some said it took months to get the issue fixed. We live in a rural area and if we bought something it would be a 200 mile drive back to the dealer.

people also said that they had problems getting things fixed under warranty and some said it took months to get the issue fixed.
Mine took longer than they said, but I want them to first service those who are travelling. It delayed this trip a little, but that isn't important. They got everything fixed I asked them to fix.

I do think it's probably the norm to find some issues with a new RV.

BTW, has anybody here made it to the end of the warranty on a new motorhome without a single warranty issue coming up? And I mean any year at all. I kinda doubt it. There are just too many little things to go wrong in a new RV.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Last edited:
We live in a rural area and if we bought something it would be a 200 mile drive back to the dealer.
Just so that you know, Jayco is a product of Thor while Gulfstream is an independent company with a long history of middle to low quality RVs. If you want better quality you need to shop higher end RVs and that also means more cost. Is there some reason that you are not looking at class A RVs at all? There isn't a great difference in price for similar size RVs.

class A RVs at all
Easier to drive, better view of the scenery while driving.

Class C's feel more like a van, but you don't see what you have, such as it being wider and higher than what you really see.

This 30-footer "A" is easier to drive than my 22-foot Class C.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

I would bet that when you owned a "C" model,,( before the "A",) it was the hottest & best thing since sliced bread..>>>D
Not really, but it got the job done not counting getting flat tires on almost every trip (and they were all less than 5 years old).

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Easier to drive, better view of the scenery while driving.

Class C's feel more like a van, but you don't see what you have, such as it being wider and higher than what you really see.

This 30-footer "A" is easier to drive than my 22-foot Class C.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Ah, Grasshopper...welcome to the dark side. :D:D

I don't think that 2019 & newer is the significant factor, though pandemic-related labor and supply problems hurt the RV industry as much as any other. I think you are seeing the results of two other trends:
  1. Literally thousands of newbies flocking to RVs with the expectation of a new-car-like experience with both the product and the dealership. Neither is even remotely likely, so complaints are rampant.
  2. An increased push toward the low end of the market (price) spectrum. Costs and buyer expectations of amenities has increased, while newcomer buyers suffer from sticker shock and gravitate to the low end. Manufacturers cut corners everywhere to keep the prices as low as they can manage. This has been trending for more than just the last 3 years, but now the fruits (flaws?) are becoming ever more apparent.
Jayco is a case in point. They simultaneously merged into Thor and commenced a drive to enter the entry-level RV market with both C & A models. It's neither the same company nor the same product line as the Jayco of a decade or so ago. Much the same can be said about Fleetwood/, which is a much-changed company under Rev Group. And ditto for Monaco & Holiday Rambler (all Rev-owned brands).

I don't think that 2019 & newer is the significant factor, though pandemic-related labor and supply problems hurt the RV industry as much as any other.
Yep, they were selling a lot of RVs (including mine) with parts missing. One of the biggest issues is many motorhomes they were selling had a missing generator. Parts shortages. They would still sell these RVs but they would have to come back to get the genny at a later date. I think these were all 4KW gennys.

Fortunately, mine came with a working 5.5 KW genny. Not that it would be a big deal, as my RV did have to go back for several other reasons, including a missing harness for the levelling jacks. But I don't know if they got gennys in since then.

I would not have been able to spend two weeks in the Everglades boondocked without my Genny.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Just so that you know, Jayco is a product of Thor while Gulfstream is an independent company with a long history of middle to low quality RVs. If you want better quality you need to shop higher end RVs and that also means more cost. Is there some reason that you are not looking at class A RVs at all? There isn't a great difference in price for similar size RVs.
The main reason we are looking for a Class C is that our HOA doesn't allow residents to park a Class A on their property. Truck campers, Class Cs, or trailers are OK. Also, we are looking for something that's easy to get into because we both have a little trouble with steps. A Class C typically has one step while a Class A will have two or more steps.
We really don't want to invest $200K+ in something that we only use a few times a year.
I did know that Jayco was now made by Thor. Thor makes probably a dozen brands. I still have not seen a post from anyone who said that they were happy with their new Class C....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom