Is it time to change tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollie

I have read discussion on this before but I would like to ask anyway.  I have a 2001 motorhome with tires built in 2000.  They have less than 18000 miles on them.  I have used tire covers to protect them and a tire dressing.  They show no signs of weather checking or any ware.  So do I really need to replace them?  While we are at it what about belts and hoses?

Those tires are now 6 years old.  I would replace them as soon as you are able to.  Belts and hoses should be checked and replaced according to the maintenance schedule for your engine.

Like Ned said, it is time to change them.  After 5 years, RV tires are iffy.  After 7 they are dangerous.

Belts and hoses need serious checking.

I second (third?) Ned & Carl .  Your tires are now living on borrowed time.  You may or may not get through their 6th season without a problem. By the 7th season a tire failure is all but guarunteed.

You might spread out the pain by getting two front tires now and the rears later or maybe even next spring. New front tires will help assure that a failure does will cause loss of control.

Another thing to consider is that one tire failure or blow out can cost many times more than a new set of tires.  Replacement of tires before they die of age, over 5 - 6 years, is just insurance for your safety as well as insuring a safe trip.

Okay, you convinced me ... the price of the tires sure has taken my mind off of the price of gas! :eek:

Rollie said:
Okay, you convinced me ... the price of the tires sure has taken my mind off of the price of gas! :eek:

Excellent decision.  Just think how much gas you can buy even after the cost of new tires from what you save on damage from a blow out let along how much safer you will be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom