Is it worthwhile to make my Class B a dually?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khaber

There's a lot of weight on the rear tires of my Roadtrek 00C200V and I'm concerned about a catastrophic blowout. It looks like it can be converted into a dually for maybe $1200, plus the extra expenses of two new tires and a more-complicated tire rotation. Does anyone have any comments about such a conversion? Anyone with experience and wisdom to share -- was it worthwhile?? Thanks!

as long as you pay attention to the various weight info stickers attached to your vehicle, you should be fine.. A lot of engineering went into it when built.. The best thing you can do to prevent tire problems is to carefully watch the pressures and age ,with inspections often to detect abnormalities. KNOW THE PROPER PRESSURES... And weigh it once a year,, they all gain weight.>>>Dan (Mine "gained" 750 pounds in 5 years.) ( Its also important to know WHERE the "gained" weight is.)

It would be a useful data point to compare your actual weight to the tire data sheet. You might be trying to solve a problem you don't have. You could make the point that having "extra" tires in place might be a benefit should one fail, but the front is a greater risk than the back and this plan doesn't change that. This is more than just a hardware purchase, consider too the reduction in fuel economy.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

What van is this based on. I know that many if not most of the Roadtrek are on the GM Savannah/Express van, but there may be others. I seriously question the "ease" of converting the vehicle to a dually for $1200.

One issue with duals is their habit of picking up larger rocks between the tires and causing flats. That is why many truck camper folks prefer the largest, strongest wheels and tires they can get in a single wheel installation, is for off road, even on good graded roads the chance is there, and also when pulling off into campsites. It happened to a friend of mine, they had set up the trailer in the campground and went riding and somewhere picked up a rock and he had a flat pretty quickly.

You really need to load the van up, full water and propane, top off the gas, and go to a CAT scale and pay the $12 and get some real numbers.

What specific size and type tires do you have now, and what are the max pressure and weight at that pressure as listed on the sidewall?

A dually conversion would most likely involve fender cutting and flares of some sort and possibly a different axle. It sounds like you would be using pickup truck parts.

As Mark noted this may be a solution looking for a problem.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom