Is my water heater adjustable for temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAC702

I live in a '96 22-footer with pretty much the same water heater as found in all travel trailers.  I saw the new ones still have pretty much the same water heater but with an electronic pilot lighter and an easy-to-use temperature selector.  Is there a way to adjust the temperature on my old one?  Nothing's obvious.

MAC702 said:
I live in a '96 22-footer with pretty much the same water heater as found in all travel trailers.  I saw the new ones still have pretty much the same water heater but with an electronic pilot lighter and an easy-to-use temperature selector.  Is there a way to adjust the temperature on my old one?  Nothing's obvious.

Some water heaters are not adjustable. The adjustment for electronically controlled heaters is usually a small lever which can be slid left or right to change the temp. It's located near the gas valve.

What brand of heater do you have - Atwood, Suburban or perhaps an American? And what model?

Most Atwoods have separate thermostats for LP and electric operation. The t-stats are mostly fixed temperature units but Atwood offers a couple different part numbers with different temp ranges. They also have one that is adjustable. If you have an Atwood, get the model number and check with a dealer or parts supply warehouse for t-stats that will fit your model. The LP mode t-stat is pretty easy to change but the electric t-stat may not be readily accessible (its on the back side of the tank).  A few Atwood LP only models have an external, adjustable t-stat right from the factory, but you would probably have noticed that since it's right by the pilot controls.

Back
Top Bottom