Is Newer Usually Better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to an older motorhome open and close the cabinet doors and then go to a newer motorhome and open and close the cabinet doors and you can feel the difference.
Are you comparing apples and apples? Many new motorhomes also have nice solid cabinet doors (and other great things), and many older ones had poorly done ones. Comparing a low end rig with a high end rig whether the same or different ages will certainly give different results, so be sure it's a Bounder and a Bounder (or equivalent) or an American Coach and an American Coach (or equivalent) that you are comparing in different years. After all, an old Bounder and a new American Coach will have the A.C. winning on materials.

(The above are just examples, so don't get hung up on brands).

For me the sweet spot on Class As is 5-15 years. At 5 years you can get an idea how much it was used, can probably trace ownership and have taken a good part of the depreciation out. At 15 years there is a much higher likelihood of water ingress, bumps and bruises and the rubber in the engine bay and all over is timing out. Depending on the mileage the same can be said for shocks and steering stabilizers.

Having said that each RV must be evaluated individually.

In terms of "quality" again you have to evaluate each RV individually. Some may perceive hollow doors as a decent trade for weight.

I can fix a few minor things but nothing big. I have grappling with your issue as well, am a new RV shopper. Good luck with your decision. I agree that making your wife happy is a huge decision factor.

Thanks again for the tips. All of my RVing has been with rentals and mostly camper vans. I wasn't sure when an RV becomes 'old' and starts to see considerate problems. I don't have any experience buying used RVs like I do with farm equipment and cars. Seems to be that if everything turns on and works, and there is no water damage, you are 90% there.

My wife is fine with either. Her biggest debate is actually whether to get a 5W or TT. There are some places she wants to go that a 5W might not be ideal. With the camper vans we've used in the past, we would go to some backwoods camp spots. I think she wants that to still be semi-on-the-table.

While most of us hesitate to get too far from the paved roads with our larger, more luxurious RVs, there some owners who take big rigs into some pretty interesting locations. We once saw a new Prevost conversion parked on national forest land that was at least 20 miles from the nearest paved road and probably 15+ miles from the nearest gravel road.

So wrong.
If your wife picks her RV, then you will likely not be happy.
There is a level of compromise required.

That “Happy wife, happy life” mindset is bull$hit.
While "happy wife" is not the sole criterion, it's a major factor in our 56 years of marriage. Compromise is indeed needed for many things in the marriage, but your final sentence is way too strong (and language unneeded).

While "happy wife" is not the sole criterion, it's a major factor in our 56 years of marriage. Compromise is indeed needed for many things in the marriage, but your final sentence is way too strong (and language unneeded).
Agree on the language and changed on the original post.

Why is the wife supposed to be happy, but not the husband? Just curious because I see so many older couples (I was married for 38 years and always compromised) that seem to believe this and I just detest the saying and the mindset.
It implies that husbands don't deserve happiness, that we should acquiesce to our wives desires, that we should strive to ensure that the wife is happy under any and all circumstances, and that we can live and be fulfilled knowing that the princess is content.
Baloney.

Talk about thread drift. I think “Happy wife, happy life” is just one of those sayings that husbands use to imply they are compromising with the wife. I would never make a purchase such as an RV or a house without my wife’s input and approval. Or she mine. And I think the saying may have come from a time when most wives stayed home and took care of the house. The wife should be happy with the home because she is in it more than the husband. The garage or the shed is his kingdom or maybe the basement where he can build his man cave. Remember Leave It To Beaver? Ward had no say about the house. June ruled in there. On the weekends Ward spent a great deal of his time in the garage. By the way, what did Ward do for a living?

Why is the wife supposed to be happy, but not the husband?
That isn't the case at all, see Gator's comments, with which I agree 1000%. But it's certain that if your wife isn't more or less happy then you won't be either- many years of experience tell me that -and the converse is true. Would you be happier if it said "spouse" rather than "wife?" Don't be so literal with old sayings (that one is much older than I am, almost as old as dirt).

That isn't the case at all, see Gator's comments, with which I agree 1000%. But it's certain that if your wife isn't more or less happy then you won't be either- many years of experience tell me that -and the converse is true. Would you be happier if it said "spouse" rather than "wife?" Don't be so literal with old sayings (that one is much older than I am, almost as old as dirt).
I am just tired of “happy wife, happy life” and “if Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy” as if she is the most important part of the family. Older couples (and I’m no spring chicken) use it all the time…

I am just tired of “happy wife, happy life” and “if Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy” as if she is the most important part of the family. Older couples (and I’m no spring chicken) use it all the time…
It’s just a saying. If it upsets you so much then don’t say it. But since the rest of us know what’s good for us we’ll continue to say it (I have learned at least one thing after 50 years of marriage). :cool:

Bottom line is between 2018 and 2022 the technology changed along with the decor we traded a dark 2015 for a bright and airy 2020 with way more technology - go with what the wife likes best

It's a bit crazy to go on a rant over a meme... There are just as many marriages failed over a crazy wife as there are over an abusive husband (maybe)

I like to tell people that my wife and I have clearly defined our roles over the years. I am the General and she is the Major. I make the general decisions and she makes the major ones...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom