Is there ANY vehicle (Jeep?) towable with just a tow bar & no mods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezmark

Blew our wad on the new Newmar - I know brakes are an issue, and we dont mind old (for right now, we just want transportation after we camp) so has there been a vehicle made that can tow 4 wheels down with no mods?

Old Volkswagons (Beetle, Thing, Vanagon) - lightweight, tow 4-down and cute.

lezmark said:
Blew our wad on the new Newmar - I know brakes are an issue, and we dont mind old (for right now, we just want transportation after we camp) so has there been a vehicle made that can tow 4 wheels down with no mods?

You mentioned one jeeps, wrangler, cherokees, liberty. 

There are numerous vehicles that can be towed all 4 down with no mods required. We tow a Suburban, many tow a Jeep and some a Honda Accord. When you've identified a few makes/models, you need to check with Remco to determine which ones can be towed without mods.

In some cases, different model years of the same vehicle are/aren't towable.

There are a lot of vehicles that can be towed 4 down without any modifications, but a toad brake is definitely one item you should add.  I wouldn't tow anything without a brake.  In most states it's a legal requirement as well.Check the Trailer Life web site for the towing guides for the past few years as to what can be towed 4 down.

Thanks for all the input - I am thinking an older Jeep will do us just fine and is not too heavy. We can always upgrade later...

Hi

A Ford Focus is nice and light, can be towed 4 down without mods and - if you chose the right color - cannot be lost in a large parking lot  ;D ;D

See HERE

Paul

I believe Ned meant to say Motorhome Magazine rather than Trailer Life. Motorhome has a section on Dinghy Towing which lists vehicles that can be towed without mods.  [Trailer Life lists vehicles that can be used to tow other things.]

Here's a quick but incomplete  list:

Most Jeep products with 4WD
Most Honda & Acura products before 2006
2006-2007 Honda CRVs
Suzuki Vitaras with 4 WD
Chevrolet Trackers with 4WD
Most GM SUVs and pick-up trucks with 4WD
Chevrolet Malibu and similar GM models
Most standard transmission cars, SUVs  and trucks

Gary, thanks for the correction.  You're right, of course, Motorhome Magazine.  The guides for the past several years are downloadable from there as well as being readable on line.

F irst the real answer to your question is NO, Every towed, EVERY ONE, needs to have a braking system,  I don't like the boxes that sit in the driver's position and push the brake pedal like the Brake Buddy, Even Brake or Apollo (Too much hassel for me) but at the very least you need them

You also need "Tow lights" either somethign you strap on the back of the ride or a "hook" into the vehicle's native lights.

But I suspect you knew that.  You are speaking of transmission, axle or drive shaft mods

To to Remco Towing and check out their charts..

Some vehicles they will suggest add on hardware, usually about 500 to 600 dollars plus install

Others they may well say "No modifications needed"

Most jeeps with a manual transfer case are "no mod needed"

As far as I know no vehicle comes with:

Tow bar brackets
Towing light connectors (Except H3 Hummer?)
Toad Brakes

In addition unless the manufacturer has approved the vehicle for towing (List in Motorhome Magazzine) you will have to adapt the transmission for towing as has been discussed.

I have towed Jeeps for years in my opinion they are one of the best to tow no hassle transfer case in neutral trans in park on auto ,Or manual trans in high gear and go ( hook up first of course) 

Earl

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom