Is this a good substitute for Silicone spray?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Finally getting around to replacing the "rubber" boots on the BlueOx tow bar. Directions say to apply Silicone spray to the interior of the new replacement boots before installing but as I don't happen to have any silicone spray on hand, I'm wondering if this PTFE spray from WD-40 would be a good substitute?

Attachments

• PTFE-Spray.jpg
    PTFE-Spray.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 48
Hard to say.  PFTE is a dry coating while silicone is intentionally wet, intended to keep rubber pliable.  PFTE is safe for use on rubber, but may not have all the benefits of silicone. But nothing works as well as silicone grease on rubber, so maybe PFTE is as good as any substitute.

I'd use it.  I'd even argue that it will attract less dust and dirt to the application.

Since the silicone goes on the inside of the boots, my guess is that the silicone is merely an installation aid, helping the new boots slip onto the arms by reducing friction.  If that's the case, any lubricant that doesn't damage the rubber ought to be fine.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/a4201/4311548/

Yes, also good to coat auto leveling jack rods.  Spray first with WD40, wipe clean then spray with the dry lube and leave it.  Will not attract dirt.

I was using the liquid wrench silicone which seamed VERY thick. I was at Home Depot shopping for sprays awhile back and ran across this new "Gel Lubricant" I hadn't seen before. It has a shaker ball, but not too thick. And was very good down the road as far as turning black, gumming up or leaving any nasty residues. PLUS its WD40 Brand, My personal Fave :) I use it on everything i don't wanna be constantly lubricating.

Attachments

• wd1.jpg
    wd1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 21
  • wd2.jpg
    wd2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom