Is this safe??? I would feel safe if I was a mile ahead of him.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen a number of stacker trailers over the years near our lakeside family cottage during bass fishing contests. Sometimes there's a bass boat over a car or truck and sometimes it's a bass boat over another bass boat.

That looks a touch risky to me.. one of the comments about stopping... If all wheels have properly adjusted brakes (MH, Car and boat trailer) the physics of stopping are kind of surprising.. Same for a small car as for a 160,000 pound semi consist or for that mess. On the other hand I'd bet the car does NOT have an aux braking system so....

100' is over length in, far as I know, every state. RVers have been cited for that following a crash.

Others have addressed multiple trailers.

I’m wondering if the trailer even has brakes. I don’t see a battery up front and it is not equipped with surge brakes. A company I use to work for had a boat for it’s employees to use and had exactly the same set up and that boat trailer did not have brakes.

Last edited:
And not one comment, other than the OP, that the idiot is travelling at 45 MPH in the left/fast lane!

Ed

I would be more concerned with the "Wiggle Factor" during stops.

As far as weight, I do not think that the weight of the pickup and boat are that great. The boat is carried on a single axle trailer.

When I had my Stacker the combined weight was about 60,000 lbs and the length was 76' and I had plenty of pulling power. I only had trouble on the single time that I lost the trailer brakes on a hill.

I had never felt uncomfortable driving it until then. That was enough to lead me to get rid of the rig.

Attachments

• 20151015_122415.jpg
    20151015_122415.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 11
Most states restrict double tow to be a fifth wheel towing another trailer, not 2 trailers. Also almost all states limit the length to 75' or less.

Driving only 45 mph in the left lane with this double-tow setup tells me everything I need to know about this driver.

He’s an idiot.

Driving only 45 mph in the left lane with this double-tow setup tells me everything I need to know about this driver.

He’s an idiot.
It tells me you're making assumptions based on facts not in evidence. Is the speed limit 60? 50? 40? 30? Is the driver preparing for an upcoming left turn? None of us have any way of knowing those facts, so we're just guessing...

Yes, there are states that allow a "double tow". I'm sure each have a licensing requirement for it. As for the towing ability, there are many rigs out there that can legally tow that much weight (like mine, #15,000). It is safe? Now that's debatable.

Stopping that much weight in a hurry would be a white knuckle ride. I see many Semi's pulling 3 trailers across the desert (triple tow) and I am sure they are much heavier. The skill and common sense of the driver would be a major factor in that scenario.

I would also want to pass him if possible and put that set up in the rear view mirror.
I have pulled 4 seat rzr on trailer behind 42 ft 5th wheel for about 5 years. If you are legal in home state fir length I have not had problem No extra lic required. I pull with f 350/ Jake brake.( pull alot in mountain states) Curent camper came with class 3 hitch, had one installed on old camper.

Illegal in BC for sure. For two reasons.

1. Too long
2. No double tow allowed.

I don’t think it’s legal anywhere in Canada as the first “trailer” is not a 5 th wheel. it is not over the 5 axle limit though.

Looking for manufactures of Open Stacker Trailer, looking to pull small SUV and Aluminum Bass Boat on
top behind 35' MH, 20-22' stacker trailer.

Stacker3.png

There are several things that go into answering the question "is it safe"
Overall height (13'6" is **I BELIEVE** the limit)
overall width (some discussion there)
Weight and does it have brakes (I hope so)
How well things are secured upon it (if loaded)

Your millage may vary from state to state

Oh the height of the underpass you are going under (More than top of trailer I hope)

How would I feel if I were a mile in FRONT of it... Well. as safe as if it were not a mile behind me
But if I was say 4 seconds BEHIND it.. I might want too open the distance a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom