Is Verizon Home Fusion the solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COMer

I've been talking to our local Verizon office and getting information about their Home Fusion services.  I'm curious if anybody is using it and if it works the way they claim.

Apparently, you buy a selected monthly data allowance (10G, 20G or 30G) and then use your various phones, laptops, streaming devices and pads.  They all draw from your data bank along with anything else you can think of to connect to the Internet.  The service uses their 4GLTE service and it is pretty fast.  We live in a small town in rural PA and the service is available to us.

When you travel, you use a box they provide and continue to connect all your devices to their towers and it all comes out of the data package you own.  What I was told is that they install it in your home and wire the whole house.  They test it first when they get there to make sure it receives the way they say it should.

Is this an alternative to figuring out how to have all my equipment on-line and be able to stream movies from Netflix?  It seems like 10G or certainly 20G would be more than adequate, especially if you stream your movies in regular definition.

Verizon told me I used 6 gigs of data just streaming one football game!  It was about 3 1/2 - 4 hours of viewing pleasure for a mere $60.  NFL mobile is free, but the data charges aren't, so that's how they make their money off of it.  They charge me $10 a gig, so unless I'm on a wifi network, I no longer stream video. 

But the home service is probably different than the mobile service, the prices would have to be much cheaper than $10 a gig for it to be reasonable. 

10G is $60 and according to their charts, you could stream a movie every other day (in standard def) and be at the limit.  Or stream a movie almost every day and be at 20G ($90 per month).  The attractive thing to me is that is covers all your devices and you can take it with you.  I would be able to discontinue some of what we are paying now as it would be included in the data package.

Or, instead of paying $60-90 per month to stream a movie every other day, you could go down to your local Redbox and rent them for less than half as much.

$1.50 for a movie every other day is $22.50 a month.  Or $45 a month fora movie every day.  And you can watch it in Blu-Ray vs. standard def.

Good point Lou.  If movies are the major interest, that is a good option.  Plus, when we are in FL, we use our library card and borrow from a pretty good selection where we usually stay.  But this plan was interesting because it offered so much more.  It would appear that I could eliminate several monthly bills and have much improved service.  The movie consideration is there because most plans I have seen are smaller and slower, and movies wouldn't work well on them.  Besides, Redbox does not stock very many movies that are age appropriate for us. 

The Fusion certainly sounds attractive, but I wonder how consistent the data speed/quality is?  I've typically experienced a lot of variation in data speed on a cellular hook-up; when it's good it's great, but it can also slow way down or get erratic.  That's a huge issue if you are streaming a movie or sports because it becomes unwatchable with freezes, pixelation and audio drop-out.  It could be fine on day one one day but have intermittent bouts of poor service. Or maybe it will be terrific at home, but poor elsewhere.  It's kind of the nature of cellular, so I would be cautious about putting all my eggs in that one basket.  Just sayin...

Note also that Fusion works only on 4G, so if you travel to a 3g area you have no service.

If you know somebody with a 4g Mifi (aka Jetpack), invite them over or borrow it for a few days to see how things work in your locale before you commit. You can do pretty much anything on the Mifi that you can on Fusion. Fusion has a permanently mounted antenna that is probably superior, but that's about the only qualitative difference

I understand what Gary is reminding us of and that's partly why I asked the question, in case somebody here had tried it and could give me some real world ideas.  Their web site lists the speed as 5-12Mbps down and 2-5 up.  That's quite a variation and I assume is because of what Gary mentions.  I was pleased that they promise that when they came to install, they do a check before they start, to see what the coverage is like at your location.  But as stated, that could be the best it will ever be and an hour later, it might not v\be acceptable.  Or the opposite. 

I curious what they give you to travel - and how long you can keep it?  Sounds like a Mifi (Jetpack), so if you traveled every weekend, could you just hang onto this travel thingie?

I knew they would move a Fusion set-up to a new location for you, but this is the first I've heard of a "travel loaner".

Yes, you can hang onto it forever but I shouldn't have said they "give" it to you.  Verizon doens't seem to do that.  The unit is $20 for any month you use it.  Added to your monthly allotment of data you have committed to.  I didn't get much information but it is a receiver that allows you to connect to towers wherever you are.  I assume it isn't as capable as the antenna they mount at your house.

Back
Top Bottom