Issue with front brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
For a while now, I've been having an issue with my front brakes. When I just touch the brake pedal, the steering wheel turns a little to the right and so does the truck. As I apply more pressure, the wheel straightens out and the truck continues straight. The last week or so, it developed another problem. Once I release the pedal, the truck also pulls to the left. At first, I thought the problem was with the left brake assembly. I thought it was hanging up until I applied more pressure on the pedal and the truck would go straight, then I thought it it would not release when I 1st released the brake pedal causing the truck to pull to the left.

Well, today I replaced all the pads and calipers, bled the lines and now it's doing the same thing. What am I missing?  Is it possible that the rubber hose on the left side has colapsed?

HELP!!!!

Very possible. It is more common than most will say. The hoses are cheap. Replace both. After that, I guess you would need to start looking at the master cyclinder

Years ago I had one go bad on my coachman classic. Early 90s. In my case, the brake was slow to return and heating things up. I think I paid $9 for the hose. I replaced both. Never again had a problem.

Henry J Fate said:
Very possible. It is more common than most will say. The hoses are cheap. Replace both. After that, I guess you would need to start looking at the master cyclinder

Years ago I had one go bad on my coachman classic. Early 90s. In my case, the brake was slow to return and heating things up. I think I paid $9 for the hose. I replaced both. Never again had a problem.

They're not so cheap. Mine will cost around $35 each.

Oh. That's quite a bit higher. I was thinking  $20. Well..... I guess it will cost you $70 to replace both. How old are they?

Henry J Fate said:
Oh. That's quite a bit higher. I was thinking  $20. Well..... I guess it will cost you $70 to replace both. How old are they?

I need to update. I just checked on Rock Auto and they range from $6.00 to $24.00. Napa must have incorrect numbers.

Mine are 7/8 years old.  That doesn't seem too old to me.

Not that old but still possible to be a failure. It stinks that you will need to put more work in. I think it is worth the effort though. The only for sure way to take that off the table is to replace them. Don't go to cheap on them. Get a middle of the road.

Well that stinks.  I agree, I'd start with replacing the hoses.  I had a steel one on my rear end that developed a drip.  My 05 YukonXL still has original rubber hoses.  I also would do a complete fluid exchange (if you didn't already).  At least you will be an expert on brake overhauls  ::)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Warped rotors?

When I've had a warped rotor I could feel a pulse under braking.

I'm having a pulling issue with mine as well. Plus I had a hot brake. Had to get towed in, they replaced the brakeline saying it had collapsed. Didn't fix it, went back and insisted they replace the caliper (my theory was stuck caliper). That fixed the overheating, but still have a strong pull to the left. At this point I'm going to go ahead and replace the other caliper (to eliminate mis-matched calipers as a possible issue, plus front brakes will then be new). Also having front alignment checked and I'm going to have them replace the opposite brake line mostly as a preemptive measure in case the other was partially to blame.

At that point I'm told I'll have to start looking at the anti-skid system/proportioning valve.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Warped rotors?

Don't think so Gary. The braking action is nice and smooth. It just pulls from side to side. The rotors are nice and smooth. The old pads still had 1/4" of shoe left so they would have lasted another couple of years.

Back2PA said:
When I've had a warped rotor I could feel a pulse under braking.

I'm having a pulling issue with mine as well. Plus I had a hot brake. Had to get towed in, they replaced the brakeline saying it had collapsed. Didn't fix it, went back and insisted they replace the caliper (my theory was stuck caliper). That fixed the overheating, but still have a strong pull to the left. At this point I'm going to go ahead and replace the other caliper (to eliminate mis-matched calipers as a possible issue, plus front brakes will then be new). Also having front alignment checked and I'm going to have them replace the opposite brake line mostly as a preemptive measure in case the other was partially to blame.

At that point I'm told I'll have to start looking at the anti-skid system/proportioning valve.

I had the front end aligned last Monday.
I was also told by someone else that the proportioning valve may be the culprit.

The proportioning valve is installed on vehicle's with front disc, rear drum brake systems. It provide balanced braking during sudden hard braking by restricting fluid pressure to the rear brakes. This helps prevent rear wheel lock up as the vehicle's weight is shifted toward the front wheels. The proportioning valve does not balance fluid pressure left to right.

House Husband said:
The proportioning valve is installed on vehicle's with front disc, rear drum brake systems. It provide balanced braking during sudden, hard braking by restricting fluid pressure to the rear brakes. This helps prevent rear wheel lock up as the vehicle's weight is shifted toward the front wheels.

I have disk brakes all around.

Had a truck one time in the shop where a rear end mount had cracked and caused the other mounts to develop play in them. The only symptom was pulling one direction when the brakes were applied.

Rene T said:
I need to update. I just checked on Rock Auto and they range from $6.00 to $24.00. Napa must have incorrect numbers.

Mine are 7/8 years old.  That doesn't seem too old to me.
oh Napa has the right numbers alright ;D

TheBar said:
Had a truck one time in the shop where a rear end mount had cracked and caused the other mounts to develop play in them. The only symptom was pulling one direction when the brakes were applied.

Interesting. I'll have the front end inspected when it's on the rack

Back
Top Bottom