Isuzu Amigo Does Anyone Own One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raedmunds71

I know a woman who has an 1994 Isuzu Amigo with 4 wheel drive and is thinking of selling it.
Does anyone out there have an opinion or experience with a rig like this?
Are they towable 4 wheels down? I'm not sure if it has an automatic transmission or not.
Are they a reliable vehicle?
If you were buying one, is there anything particular you should watch out for?

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Check with Remco Towing (www.remcotowing.com) about the towability - they are the experts and won't try to sell you something if nothing is required. They have most towable vehicles listed on their website, but you can call their 800 number and ask them too.

If it has a "real" 4WD transfer case that can be shifted into  neutral, there's a good chance it is towable. If there is no neutral position on the transfer case (or no transfer case at all), probably not.  If you can put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in Park and roll the car by pushing on it, it is probably towable. But check with Remco even if it passes that test.  A mistake would be VERY costly!

Marc L

Hi Gary,

You mentioned that if it has a real 4wd transfer case that can be shifted in Neutral that it's towable.  I have yet to understand why, but the owners manual for my Xterra says that it can't be towed on all 4 wheels on the ground and that it has to be towed with the rear wheels on a dolly or else it can cause damage to the transmission.

To me this makes absolutely no sense because with the t-case in Neutral, the transmission does not rotate.  In fact, I've put the t-case in N with the transmission in P and moved the vehicle.

My Xterra is a TV, not a toad, so it does not matter to me if it can be towed or not, but it's still weird that Nissan says it can't be towed on all fours even with a real t-case.

Marc...

BernieD

56kz2slow said:
You mentioned that if it has a real 4wd transfer case that can be shifted in Neutral that it's towable.  I have yet to understand why, but the owners manual for my Xterra says that it can't be towed on all 4 wheels on the ground and that it has to be towed with the rear wheels on a dolly or else it can cause damage to the transmission.

To me this makes absolutely no sense because with the t-case in Neutral, the transmission does not rotate.  In fact, I've put the t-case in N with the transmission in P and moved the vehicle.

Marc
I don't remember the specific reasoning but you can get it from REMCO. I use a drive shaft disconnect with my XTerra and don't worry about it.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
You mentioned that if it has a real 4wd transfer case that can be shifted in Neutral that it's towable.

No, I said it likely may be towable and cautioned to check with Remco to verify. As you know, having a transfer case is not a guarantee of towability. Likewise, not having a transfer case is not a guaranteed disqualifier, though it often is.

I believe the Xterra transmission shaft turns with the wheels, though perhaps not at full speed, and does not provide sufficient lubrication for that amount of movement. This the need for a driveline disconnect. It may be that Nissan is being ultra cautious but more likely there are conditions where the tranny gears will turn to some degree with the possibility of damage if towed over long distances. A viscous coupling in the driveline or transfer case would explain that, though I do not know if that is the case with the Xterra.

Top Bottom