Itasca Spirit 2015 Series M 22R with Ford 5.4 V-8 Triton engine 320 horsepower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shopinful

Am considering buying this RV low mileage and great shape.  Does anyone own one of these?  My question is how will it take mountains out west?  Now I need to confess up front, I would not personally know one engine from another so I am counting on those of you that are knowledgeable.  Is there any other info that I need to find out about this kind of engine that would help with an answer?  Help!

This is can be a very complicated discussion. Generally speaking (and this is very general), one HP per 100 pounds of Gross Combined Weight (RV plus whatever is towed) is desired.  Hill climbing performance depends to a great degree on where the engine develops its torque (and how much torque), most diesels for trucks, equipment, RVs develop their max torque at lower RPMs.

In fact my Cummins ISL (400 HP and 1200 ft pounds of torque) redlines at 3,000 RPM. Many gas engines don't reach max HP and torque until they are screaming along at 4,000 or 5,000 RPM.

Stand by for the usual spirited discussion of horse power vs. torque. Fasten your seat belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom