Its not new anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddytrux

Well,

We took our new travel trailer out for an end of season camping trip in November. The campground was primarily for tent camping, but there are a few spots for RVs. To make a long story short; the side of the trailer found the roof of the pit toilet shelter. Luckily the roof was wood shingles, and I was obviously not the first to have hit it. The damage was not as bad as it could have been, but now I have a nice two foot long ripple in the siding.

So, what do I do now? I've done body work on cars, but not aluminum siding. Can the damaged panel be replaced fairly easy, or is body filler the typical repair method? I can touch up the paint, and it probably won't be too noticeable (you have to look up to see it anyway).

Any advice?

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your accident but it does happen. Yes, you can replace the siding but it takes some work. You will have to remove the moldings around the torn area. Since it's near the top that means all of it in front and back. If it's the top piece of aluminum then the top molding may have to come off as well. The aluminum siding comes in sections a couple of feet high and the length of the trailer if it runs the whole way. It is stapled in place and interlocks with the other piece. Not a fun job but doable. There is putty tape under the molding and sometimes a sealant along the outer edges. You really should have an indoor area in which to perform the repairs. It's not good if you have the sides open and it rains!

I would suggest you get an estimate from a reliable repair shop. You may find the cost is worth not having to go through the effort.

The aluminum panels can be replaced and that is the usual means of repair.  I've never done it myself, so can't offer any specific advice on procedures, difficulty, etc.  Check with the manufacturer or a dealer for a source.

We have an illustrated sidewall repair story in our forum library. It's a more extensive repair and may not be totally relevant, but you might gain some insight from it.

Thanks for the advice,

I have to take it back to the dealer for warranty work to fix the screen door that won't latch. I'll have them quote the siding repair as well. I don't think it would be too hard to replace. It is the second panel from the top and runs from the front back about 6 feet to a window. I figure the trim on the front corner, and around the window would be tho most challenging part of the repair.

One more thing. Is is typical for dealers to have exclusive warranty repair territories? We bought our Puma at a dealer in Indiana since they were much cheaper than smaller dealers. There is a Puma dealer much closer, but they told me all warranty work would have to be done where I bought it since they were within so many miles. Is this common for RVs or just Puma/Forest River? The dealer in Indiana is about an hour away vs. 20 minutes for the smaller local dealer.

Warranty work can be done by any authorized dealer  Adjustments done by the selling dealer.  If thats the dealers attitude,  not sure I would want him working on it in the 1st place.  JMHO

Back
Top Bottom