jack knife sofa purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

I was wondering if anyone has an idea where I can buy a new 60" jack knife sofa. I don't need a free standing one. My application uses one that sits on its ends and flips down flat with open storage completely under it. Of course I called Jayco and got the usual contact a dealer. Well I am miles from any dealer for starters. But I want to buy one and have it shipped to family that we plan on visiting in the next month and then install it. There are only six bolts that fastens the ends to the supports. The back and bottom are completely seperate pieces with the operating mechanism seperate.

Last edited:
eTrailer, Shop4Seats, RecPro immediately come to mind. There are probably more sources/outlets but I'm guessing there aren't many unique manufacturers and these guys are (mostly) selling the same lines of products.

I've been poking around for some stuff too and something I'd look for is who has stock or will give you a lead time for what you want. One reseller the best answer I got was to email back from time to time to check availability. That implies their source isn't able to supply them consistently. One guess is production capacity is being sent to OEM and aftermarket is getting the scraps.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

We didn't buy a jack knife, but we bought a RecPro recliner and theater seating setup. The first time we bought the Ultra Leather set, and after 3 years it did what all Ultra Leather does and started to flake.
We bought a second set, but this time with cloth upholstery. It's held up a lot better, plus you don't stick to it in warm weather. They have pretty much all the seating/sleeping options covered.

My set up has the furnace under the bottom and mounted across an open span. And you are right Old Crow. So whatever I get to replace the flaking fake leather surface needs to expand across the 60" opening. My furnace also gathers air from the back opening. So I can't mount anything to the back wall that creates the semi private bedroom. And I cannot use the recliners.

1614776164183.png
The only place I was able to find the simular unit is out of stock and have no idea if they will be getting any in stock. I tried to get it covered when we got the camper. But to do so would have been 900 dollars .

And the sofa is my dog's bed in the evening. So we fold it out and make it up for her. I know, I know the things we do for our pet, taking them across country for their own vacation.
http://www.rvfurniturecenter.com/sbj75-60-jacknife-sofa-sherman-wolf/

Horse apiece to re-cover or replace, just depends on how bad you want what you want. DW did some calling around yesterday and the places that are build to order are 20 weeks out ARO. Suspect an upholstery shop could do a re-cover more quickly than that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Well its not what I want as much as the setup limits what will work. I was hoping that someone had experience with updating a simular couch. We are using the camper too. So replacement works better if possible. Of course i can use it the way it is. But the surface is crumbling apart. I like to fix things as its needed too. Most upholstery shops are a couple of months behind when we checked having it done this past Dec.

If the original sofa is anchored down, does the replacement sofa have to be able to be anchored at the same place? It has been mentioned it doesn't have to be "RV furniture" but from other stores. But not sure how it could be anchored. Same thing with adding seat belts.
Is Thomas Payne rv furniture a good brand?
Thanks

I bought the swivel glider recliner and a double recliner theater seating set from RecPro.
The base on the recliner is made out of round tubing. I got some conduit clamps from the hardware store and screwed it into the floor. The base of the theater seating had some holes in it that I used to screw that one to the floor of the slide. I removed the seat belts as I never have anyone traveling with me.
I can't speak to the quality of the Thomas Payne stuff, but after my first experience with the Ultra Leather and seeing lots of other people having the problem with the peeling, I didn't want vinyl again. RecPro was the only RV stuff I could find with clothe upholstery. It actually matches the driver's/passenger captains chairs and the dinette chairs better than the vinyl stuff did, anyway.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have found an automotive upholstery detailer with leather, as much as leather seat fabric is these days, that is going to squeeze in next week and cover it for 225 bucks. He has some leftover stuff that"s pretty close to the original color that will work okay. He also had some nice medium tan that matched my wall fabric and my dinette back seat highlights and trim that I will probably go with later on this year when I have more down time.

I never did get much satisfaction in responses to the limited two outlets online with their listed replacement pieces. There are some old timey outlets tucked away in some corners of the country that still provides friendly service. It just takes some time and yields success.

I bought the swivel glider recliner and a double recliner theater seating set from RecPro.
The base on the recliner is made out of round tubing. I got some conduit clamps from the hardware store and screwed it into the floor. The base of the theater seating had some holes in it that I used to screw that one to the floor of the slide. I removed the seat belts as I never have anyone traveling with me.
I can't speak to the quality of the Thomas Payne stuff, but after my first experience with the Ultra Leather and seeing lots of other people having the problem with the peeling, I didn't want vinyl again. RecPro was the only RV stuff I could find with clothe upholstery. It actually matches the driver's/passenger captains chairs and the dinette chairs better than the vinyl stuff did, anyway.
Thanks, that's helpful. I did look at reviews for Thomas Payne stuff, and it was not good. The Flex steel chairs & sofa in our previous coach are 18 years old & still look great. Maybe I should switch them out...not really...but it's an idea.

Yeah, my original stuff was Flex Steel, and in pretty fair shape. However, the queen hide-a-bed wasn't comfortable as a bed, or a couch. The RecPro stuff is a bit larger than the Flex Steel stuff was, which was another consideration for me.

When we were looking at the different materials to recover our couch, the quality of the factory garbage versus the new material is striking. The factory stuff is what I call delicate. This is not for my application even if I was able to replace it with a drop in unit. It was like a paper towel versus a cowhide. Of course you have to take into consideration the foam under the fabrics when considering going the recover route.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom