Jackery Solar - an alternative way to get solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Here's a way to get some solar capability without getting deeply involved in the many technical variables associated with solar and its installation. I'm not promoting this product as a better choice - just suggesting it as an easy way to get some solar power as well as some off-grid capability. I'm sure many will respond with pros and cons, so I won't bother myself. :p

Jackery is a combination of a self-contained battery+ inverter optionally coupled to a portable solar panel. There are other such battery-inverter products and they work well enough as a modest off-grid power source - I even have one at my stick house for emergency use. Jackery adds a portable solar panel that can easily be used to recharge the battery pack. You don't have to know much about solar to use it - just stick the panel in the sun and the battery-inverter module somewhere within the cord reach. To use the power, plug into either the 120v outlet or the USB port. Simple enough, right?

If all you want is to charge your phone or laptop, or maybe power some entertainment gadget for an evening and have the ability to re-use it again the next night, this is a simple way to do it. Not cheap, but simple.

Interesting but pricey. If I were a die hard boon docker there would definitely be value in having one. But then again, the cop in me would be a little worried about theft if I was gone from the site for a period of time. But, it would be about the same as leaving a small Honda outside as well. It's good to see technology advancing though.

Interesting but pricey. If I were a die hard boon docker there would definitely be value in having one. But then again, the cop in me would be a little worried about theft if I was gone from the site for a period of time. But, it would be about the same as leaving a small Honda outside as well. It's good to see technology advancing though.

it's 50 W portable system with a battery.. might be of some use to a tent camper, but for anything else it's just a toy.

Jackery-type systems come in solar and 110v rechargeable versions. They are quite popular with van campers and small trailers that don’t have inverters for charging phones and running devices like TVs and sewing machines.

It's 50 W portable system with a battery.. might be of some use to a tent camper, but for anything else it's just a toy.
There are several versions, up to 1500 watt inverter with 400W of solar for charging. Not exactly a toy.

How would this be better than a small generator?

And, don't get me wrong, any of you who know me know that I am pro solar.

How would this be better than a small generator?

And, don't get me wrong, any of you who know me know that I am pro solar.
Well there are a lot of folks pushing solar just now.. But you ask a very good question.
I recall a Political candidate "Solar won't work because the sun does not always shine"
(I won't go into all the reasons he was wrong) But at night, when the sun still shines Just on the other side of the globe. You have to rely on your batteries.. I don't know how much battery that unit has.

Solar is SILENT or at most some fan noise from the inverter's cooling fan.. Less noise that a honda 1000 with no load (And that's hard to hear)

Plus in some places they ban Gasoline/Diesel generators after X:00 (A given hour) and in one state all together or so we are told. Solar power.. Still good.

This is only 1500 watts however and I don't know (ok I just looked it up) only about 60.9 Amp hour battery so you have limited power.. I can not computer how much for I don't know if it's 12/ 24 or 48 volt (Solar power storage can be up to 48 volt)
But figure 600 watt hours for every 12 volt. That's watt hours. Not KWH (I use 10 volts as the battery output for estimation purpose to cover losses in conversion)

That's not a lot of power.

I'm all for solar power, and precisely for the quiet. We Boondock almost exclusively, and installed a 1200 watt system specifically for that reason.

This device, however, appears to have only that as an advantage. Otherwise it appears to be an expensive way of obtaining a very small amount of power when off grid, and having the added issue of being somewhat cumbersome when panels are included. Yeah, I just don't see it's advantages as overcoming all the negatives.

However, to each his own, and it is good to have choice.

Off-the-shelf solutions are seldom the cheapest or technically most optimal, but they fill the bill for those who cannot delve into the technical stuff or simply or don't care to.

I'm all for solar power, and precisely for the quiet. We Boondock almost exclusively, and installed a 1200 watt system specifically for that reason.

This device, however, appears to have only that as an advantage. Otherwise it appears to be an expensive way of obtaining a very small amount of power when off grid, and having the added issue of being somewhat cumbersome when panels are included. Yeah, I just don't see it's advantages as overcoming all the negatives.

However, to each his own, and it is good to have choice.
It's not really for people like us with 30+ feet of RV with built in appliances and generators. For the minimalist and van life people, however, it's a way to get all the advantages of solar in a small package. When my kid camps in his ambulance, he maybe runs the TV long enough to watch a movie or play a video game. They aren't running furnaces, microwaves, coffee makers or any of the stuff us "more mature" RV'ers are accustom to having.

Agreed. I know people who use these on weekend trips in small rigs. I know someone else who uses hers for her laptop when she needs to use public WiFi in a library or similar. Her laptop battery isn’t very good, so she takes a small jackery with her and can run the laptop all day.

As frequent boondockers IMHO a full blown solar system is the better choice, at least for us, but I certainly can see the benefit of these systems for some and would much prefer this to a generator. Jackery seems to have a strong following.

Yes, JACKERY they are indeed more expensive, I saw an article before saying that currently, many portable power stations set the standard pricing at around $1/watt or $1/watt-hour.

I have LIPOWER MARS1000, which works as advertised. We tested it on all our small appliances ( toaster, coffee pot, microwave 900w, and my wife’s hair dryer, curling iron) With plenty of power to spare. It will run anything in our camper except the Roof mounted AC.

I run a 330w solar generator and a foldable solar panel when we tent camp. We use it to blow up air mattresses and charge our phones or other small electronics at night. The little light on it works great for an in-tent light at night.

My solar generator is by baldr https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YWWVRWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The solar panel is this one

Was it cheap? Nope. Does it do what I need? Yup.

Very compact. Charges well. Runs everything we need.

One of my friends we tent camp with was looking at building his own setup. After seeing my little setup, he's now considering just picking up similar stuff.

Back
Top Bottom