Jacking, stabilizing, leveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlo

Hi All,

New to the forum and to RVing in general.  I have a 22ft Jayco Jay Feather camp trailer, 2007.  I bought two scissor jacks for the back end.  I took off the rear stabilizers and put them on. 

https://www.amazon.com/EAZ-LIFT-Stabilizing-Scissor-Trailers/dp/B00IKKS4MS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=eaz+lift+scissor+jack&qid=1560195929&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1. 

They can each lift 5000 lbs, and so I thought no problem for lifting my trailer which has a GVW of 4500. 

I then got a 'smart' idea and used the scissor jacks to lift the trailer wheels off the ground for winter storage to preserve the tires.  The jacks can easily move and bear the weight, but now I am worrying that this sort of practice can lead to trailer frame damage.  So my questions are:

1. Does using these scissor jacks to raise the trailer tires off the ground cause frame damage?  Does it matter short term (i.e. changing a tire or leveling at a campsite on to blocks) vs long term (i.e over the winter)?
3. Should I even care about getting my tires off the ground in winter? 
4. I have to park the trailer in a somewhat unlevel spot over the winter, does this unlevel condition cause any problems with the tires/suspension etc for long term storage?

Thanks, Carlo

My $0.02

The frame may be bent by lifting at the extremes. The design of a TT has 80-90% of the weight on the axels. Near the axel is where you should lift. The jacks at the corners are to stabilize while parked.

On my 2 axel trailer, if I need to change a tire, I first break each lug nut loose, then I stack up a bunch of ?Lynx Levelers? into a ramp, pull or back the good tire up on it and that raises the flat for changing. Easy.

I never lifted my trailers off the tires for storage. I'd be worried about hurting the frame.

Storing at an angle shouldn't hurt a thing as long as your not running the refrigerator.

I assume you know to leave the refrigerator doors open while stored.

My trailers came with scissor jacks and I replaced them with stabilizers which worked better for me.

Thanks!

I too am worried about bending the frame more than the lifespan of my tires.  Good to know about storage on uneven ground. 

Carlo

While the jacks may have the capacity, they are not intended to EVER lift the tires off the ground.  They are stabilizers.

For storage, park on a treated 2 x 8 to get the tires off the ground and reduce sinking.  An angle is no issue.  Just do not run the fridge (ECHO  echo).  Stick an extra 2 x 8 or two under the low tire if desired to level the camper.

When I had the pop up, my leveling process at a camp site was to first get the trailer where I wanted it and check side to side level.  If needed, I pull forward a couple feet add a 2 x 8 or two and back onto the blocks.  Chalk tires!!
Next, I unhook the TV and move it out of the way.  Level forward to back with the tongue jack.  Set stabilizers. 

This keeps the tires on the ground and supporting the weight as it was designed.

No need to be level during storage. If fact, not being level will facilitate water runoff from the roof.

grashley said:
While the jacks may have the capacity, they are not intended to EVER lift the tires off the ground.  They are stabilizers.

For storage, park on a treated 2 x 8 to get the tires off the ground and reduce sinking.  An angle is no issue.  Just do not run the fridge (ECHO  echo).  Stick an extra 2 x 8 or two under the low tire if desired to level the camper.

When I had the pop up, my leveling process at a camp site was to first get the trailer where I wanted it and check side to side level.  If needed, I pull forward a couple feet add a 2 x 8 or two and back onto the blocks.  Chalk tires!!
Next, I unhook the TV and move it out of the way.  Level forward to back with the tongue jack.  Set stabilizers. 

This keeps the tires on the ground and supporting the weight as it was designed.

So, silly question....

I could see putting chalk marks on tires to be able to see if they move after unhitching but I typically chock them as well so they don?t. Which were you suggesting?

Back
Top Bottom