Jacks down slideout out, or slideout first and then jacks down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

a friend of mine who has been RVing since '98 told me to always put the jacks down before the slideout.  When leaving bring your slideout in before retracting your jacks.  His theory is that if you put out your slideout first and then the jacks, the jack may tweak the frame of the RV and the slideout will not go in because the rails that the slideout rides on are not aligned.  I've done it both ways and so far have not had a problem.  Anyone know know what the mfg suggests?

Almost all manufacturers include instructions for using their slides and the correct answer is to follow those directions.

I believe most tell you to level the coach with the jacks and then extend the slides, using the reverse order to retract them.

We have had several discussions on this topic in the past.  Most recently, we were told by a long time Monaco employee that is now working for himself that the slideout should always be moved with the chassis at ride height.  That means with extend the slideout first, then dump the air bags, then level.  Reverse to retract the slideout.  This, of course, only applies to Monaco motorhomes with air bag suspension as Monaco had published incorrect information in their manuals for a few years.  For other RVs, you should follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I always dump air place pads under jacks (it's easier with the slides in) then level then extend slides. I like to hook up to shore power then I don't have to keep the engine running or run the generator. You can use the time you are putting your jack pads out to be shure you have clearance to extend the slides.
Bill

I think the best advice I've heard here is to follow your coach manufacturers recommendation.  However, as a general rule, I've gathered from the previous topics of discussion on this subject, that for the majority of basic spring suspension, gas powered coaches, leveling the coach prior to slide deployment is the recommended norm.  It just seems to make sense to have the frame level, and solidly supported, prior to deploying the lateral weight of the slide(s).

If I owned an expensive diesel pusher with air suspension and air leveling, I would definitely follow the recommendation of the coach builder.  JMHO 

Generally, you should follow the manufacturer's procedure.  In the case of Monaco diesels, they published the wrong procedure for some models for several years.  Since using the correct procedure on our coach, the slideout has worked smoother and quieter than it ever has.  We will continue to only move the slideout when the coach is at ride height with the jacks retracted.

Since using the correct procedure on our coach, the slideout has worked smoother and quieter than it ever has.  We will continue to only move the slideout when the coach is at ride height with the jacks retracted.

No one is more zealous than a recent convert!  ::)

American Coach did the same as Monaco - emphatically stating to "level, then slide" for 10 years, then later changing to "slide then level".  With no real info as to why one is better than the other.    One factor may be that later models need to have the engine running to deploy the slides (an RVIA standard practice nowadays), so it makes sense to deploy slides first and then level. There may also be an interlock to prevent the jacks from going down when the engine is running.

We do whichever is most convenient when we park. No observable difference in operation either way.

Our slideout won't move if the engine is running.  So much for "standards" :)  And there is a noticeable difference in operation, it's much better the new (and correct for our coach) way.

Ned said:
Generally, you should follow the manufacturer's procedure.  In the case of Monaco diesels, they published the wrong procedure for some models for several years.  Since using the correct procedure on our coach, the slideout has worked smoother and quieter than it ever has.  We will continue to only move the slideout when the coach is at ride height with the jacks retracted.

Ned,

My 2000 Windsor  the delivery tech at factory said to put the slide out first, then level. I don't remember if it was in the manual or not, but it is in the manual for the 2009 Camelot. Also per Monaco's instruction I never dump the air prior to leveling, but maybe the have different instructions for Hydraulic leveling. One tech told me the reason not to dump the air was to prevent torquing the frame on a really unlevel site, particularly were one corner is really low.

ken

Ken, those are the new, correct, instructions, and apparently apply to both air and hydraulic leveling with respect to the slideout.  However, with jacks, you have to dump the air first or you may not have enough jack extension to level.  With air leveling, that's not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom