Jamboree Rallye - any opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maj16

Good morning all...My family and I (wife and 3 young boys) are beginning the search for a used Class C.  I am currently looking at a 1996 Jamboree Rallye MH 29 with a Ford 460.  The rig has only 22,000 miles.  I am looking for any feedback regarding this unit.  We have been camping for a number of years and want to make the switch from a TT to a Class C.

maj16 said:
Good morning all...My family and I (wife and 3 young boys) are beginning the search for a used Class C.? I am currently looking at a 1996 Jamboree Rallye MH 29 with a Ford 460.? The rig has only 22,000 miles.? I am looking for any feedback regarding this unit.? We have been camping for a number of years and want to make the switch from a TT to a Class C.

Welcome to the RV Forum Framily.  Glad you found us.  I have not had any experience with the Jamboree Rallye but I am sure you will get some good information and suggestions here.  Thanks for joining us.

The Jamboree is a popular model and I see a lot of them on the road. I don't have any personal experience with a Jamboree either, but can offer a couple general considerations based on age and type.

1. Check the DOT date codes on the tires to see if they are 6-7 years old. Chances are, on a 1996 motorhome with 22,000 miles, that the tires are still the originals. If so, failure is imminent regardless of how they look and you will need to purchase all new tires. Tires have a maximum life of about 7 years due to deterioration of the rubber compounds and actually die sooner if they have less than  average wear.  Don't let a glib salesman convince you otherwise.  If you don't know how to interpret the DOT date of manufacture codes, see the Glossary of Rv Terms on www.rvforum.net, under Tire Date Codes.  Basically the week and year of manufacture are encoded in the last 3 digits of the string of letters and numbers beginning with "DOT..."

2. The Ford 460 is a solid engine, as is the accompanying E4OD transmission.  I had one in a previous 36 foot motorhome (also a 1996) and it performed well.  The only know problem with 460's is that early models had a poor quality fuel pump that typically failed at around 30-35,000 miles. Ford changed to a better  pump in mid 1996, so the one you are looking at may not have this problem.

3.Insist on operating all the appliances for substantial periods, iin both gas and electric mode. In particular, make sure the fridge cools in both modes. Fridge cooling will take several hours and perhaps even overnight

4. Check www.nadaguides.com to see the average retail price in your area. It'sa buyers market, so try to pay substantially less.  RVs are usually steeply discounted, especially if you bargain HARD.  In private sales, RVs usually sell closer to their wholesale value than retail.

Hi!

I have a 1996 Bounder with the Ford 460 and E4OD trans. and have had no problems with it. Rock solid. My only complaint is that the exhaust system is inadequate, and will be replaced this summer with a Walker system. Some folks have installed a Banks system, but they are fairly expensive and I've heard that sometimes the manifold bolts break when they try to remove them to put on the new headers. The Walker uses the existing headers and replaces everything else.

Happy hunting ;D

We previously owned a 28' class C on the Ford 350 chassis with the 460 and the E4OD.  The combination was an excellent performer, both in the flatlands and the mountains.  The power is more than adequate for that size unit, but a little under for larger, heavier, rigs.

Thank you for the info so far...we are just starting the search.  We are not new to camping and I do have quite a bit of mechanical apptitude, my question is more in regards to people's opinions and concerns on different makes and models of mid to late 90's rigs.  I currently am leaning towards Minnie Winnies....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom