jayco, slide out will not come out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntmck

i bought a 1996 jayco travel trailer with the slide out room. the room worked when i bought it, but when i got it home i cant get the room to slide out. seems like it is not getrting any power, but everything else works in the camper
Any suggestions? or wiring diagrams? or is there some relay switches somewhere?
Please help i am ready to go camping.
thank you

Are you plugged into the shore electrical power or running off the battery when you try the slide out?
Jake

I am not sure about Jayco but I had the same problem with my Keystone. Try manually cranking it out
about a foot and then try it. Sometimes the wiring can get either pinched or in a bind
by the slide itself. Is any part of the slide moving?

yes i am plugged in. i tried to manually crank it out but i only went out about one inch. I will try to go out further. Is there some kind of relays or curciut board for the slide out? I checkd all my fuses.

Humm, tried manually cranking it out but it only came out about an inch.  This suggests to me something is blocking it, perhaps something in storage or perhaps there is some kind of a slide lock bar that is keeping it from sliding out.

I know the larger slides have such devices.  But since I've never looked at Jayco slides,,, I very simply do not know

I'd check for blockage and then the fuses.  Also check to see if the battery cutoff is cutting off.  I know on my rig the power comes thru the battery and if its not online some things do not work.

Check to see if you have power at the motor when the switch is operated. Be careful it doesn't start moving! Sometimes the motors do fail.

i found the problem, i am new to this so i didn't know that the 12v battery is what actually moves the room out, i thought  you had to have it plugged in for the room to come out. so i bought a new battery and it worked fine. thanks for all the help, i am a happy camper now.

tntmck said:
i found the problem, i am new to this so i didn't know that the 12v battery is what actually moves the room out, i thought  you had to have it plugged in for the room to come out. so i bought a new battery and it worked fine. thanks for all the help, i am a happy camper now.

Something doesn't seem right yet. When you are plugged in the converter/charger should be powering the DC circuits. I've never looked to see how the slide motor is wired but I would think it would be powered by both. You might want to check to be sure your charger is working. Just check the voltage at the battery. It should be in the mid 13V range when the charger is working.

While you're checking the voltage at the battery, also take a look at the converter to see how much amperage it puts out. If the battery is already discharged from use, the converter may not have enough oomph for those motors. I don't know what they draw, but suspect it will be a fairly large amount. Maybe a converter upgrade is in order.

Back
Top Bottom