Jayco vs. Thor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickoo

We've been looking at slightly used Jayco Precept and at Thor Hurricane (or Windsport) models in the 30-34 foot range. (110k-130k) and am wondering if there are opinions on these manufactures/models when comparing them to each other.

I know floor plans and condition plays a big role. These models would all fit our needs, are almost new and look well cared for.

Any specific things to be concerned about?

Regardless of the name badge condition is paramount. Once the warranty is expired it really makea no difference what brand it is. 90% of the content will be the same. Pick the one YOU like best. Go play house in them for a half hour. Pretend your making the bed, taking a shower, using the toilet, both positions, how about making a meal, eating space, can you watch TV comfortably? Each person make a list of likes and dislikes, compare and pick the one with the least objections.

Two words…FLOOR PLAN.

When you cut to the chase, if you are not happy with the floor plan, you won’t be happy with anything else, either. Make that your top priority.

Rickoo appears to be looking at new coaches, so condition is a moot point.

For rigs in the same price class for a given size & equipment level, there rarely is much difference in the level of build or component quality. Price competition, the near-identical construction methods, and commonality of components keep them largely the same. And since Jayco is owned by Thor, there aren't any secrets about methods or costs either.

I do not know about Jayco but I do know that Thor has extensive online documentation much of which is in the form of Utube videos.

A nice feature for looking up any questions about the units.

Thanks everyone. Gary, we're also looking at 1-2 year old used. Unless we find something we love at a price that's too hard to pass up, we plan on attending the RV super show in Tampa in January.

Are there good enough deals on new RVs at this show to justify the wait? Wondering if the same deals can be had locally with a bit of negotiating anytime of the year?

I've attended many trade shows that are really more about showing products than offering significant discounts on "show specials". Is this the same with RVs?

IMHO, shows jack up the price so they can give you a deal.
Be sure to know the regular price for any unit you are interested in before going to the show so you know if it is a deal.
Some dealers DO give a good show price to unload inventory before the newer model deliveries start arriving for spring.

Thor owns Jayco but is keeping the Jayco brand name separate from the other Thor Motorhomes brands, for now anyway. The Precept model may in fact be shared with other Thor brands under a different name.

Thor owns Jayco but is keeping the Jayco brand name separate from the other Thor Motorhomes brands, for now anyway. The Precept model may in fact be shared with other Thor brands under a different name.
But they use the same LCI components same as Ford and Mercury in the day or Oldmobile and Pontiac seperate names but we are talking semantics here.

we're also looking at 1-2 year old used. Unless we find something we love at a price that's too hard to pass up, we plan on attending the RV super show in Tampa in January.
The Hurricane is and has always been an "entry level" RV, meaning price comes first in any design decisions. Based on history I would probably go toward the Precept, but it is in pretty much the same marked and build by the same company. Since I have not looked at either recently I would have to guess, but Jayco used to have the better reputation.
I've attended many trade shows that are really more about showing products than offering significant discounts on "show specials". Is this the same with RVs?
That is exactly what shows are about. A few people actually get a better price but not often. The way that the RV market has been the past couple of years, getting much real discount is going to be a challenge, most likely. If you do shop the show, prepare before you go by doing a lot of shopping first and even negotiate some so that you know going in what most dealers are asking. The sales people are masters at number manipulation and frequently leave people thinking that they got a far better price than was actually the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom