Jayne's Checking In...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Maxwell said:
Well, finally!

This will save on cell phone minutes. :) ;)

?When will you be here to hot-tub?

Adios. . .

Bob +

Possibly Memorial Day weekend.  I have a VA appt in ALBQ on the 25th and am not sure I will stop at home on the way.

BillnRI said:
Wow, 11 acres, Jolene and I could come out and boondock and you wouldn't even see us!? Wait, do you have trees?? We have trees here.?

Bill and Jolene,

Yep got lots of pinion and juniper trees, some of which must be 100 yrs old.  You are welcome to come boondock anytime, if you can afford to get here!  ;)

Is that Peg Leg spot a good place for boondocking?  I am trying to put together a library of boondocking locations.

from Internet:

Peg Leg Smith Monument

Borrego Springs, California

Finding an official monument to a liar seems good enough reason to drive across southern California mountains and deserts in blistering summer heat. We're looking for the site that celebrates a Gold Rush era con artist named Thomas Long Smith, AKA "Peg Leg Smith." It's in Borrego Springs, an "almost-became-the-next-Palm Springs" kind of place, a treeless depression sandwiched in the Santa Rosa and Vallecito Mountains east of San Diego.

Peg Leg Smith was a "mountain man, prospector, and spinner of tall tales," who lived from 1801 to 1866. A born Kentuckian who staggered West and never returned, Smith claimed he found pure gold nuggets in the Borrego Springs area. Peg Leg would tell anyone who'd listen about the "fabulous wealth" hidden in the hills. It was hidden because Peg Leg couldn't exactly remember where the mine was...

We drive around a bit, looking for the monument, which is supposed to be east of town. There's a Peg Leg Road, but no obvious interpretation kiosk or visitor's center. No signs at all. Nothing.

It occurs to us that the whole idea of a Liar's Monument could be a chapter out of the Snipe Hunt manual. We drive back towards town, seeking directions, hoping the laughter won't be too cruel. At the little Borrego Springs airport, a nice lady in the office -- who probably can't fib per FAA regulations -- turns us in the right direction.

A little ways up Henderson Canyon Road, we see the "monument" -- a large pile of rocks, and further past the desert scrag, a more official looking stone historical marker. A wooden sign in front of the rock pile advises:

"Let those who seek Peg Leg's gold add ten rocks to this pile."

The temperature is 114 degrees Fahrenheit, but not enough to deter us from throwing the required rocks (which we brought with us from the airport, per the nice lady's advice).

Near the dirt parking area is a bent metal mail box, which contains an assortment of romance paperbacks, a few old magazines, and a visitor registry. Many write "Where's my gold?" or similar sentiments. In one entry, a couple who fell in love at the liar's rock pile returned on their anniversary....

Peg Leg died without ever finding his Lost Mine. If the mine ever existed, it might be only "a few miles" from the monument. We think Peg Leg actually had a wooden leg, in case you wondered -- but it could also be another lie.We'll ask back at the airport....

A local man, Harry Oliver, brought Peg Leg back to life when he formed a Peg Leg Club in 1916. The rock pile was created in the late 1940s by "Desert Steve," who developed an appreciation for the Great Deceiver. An annual Liars Contest is held at the site every April Fool's Day, when contestants spew 5-minute long fabrications that Peg Leg himself would have appreciated.

(Liar Peg Leg Smith: Borrego Springs, California - 8 mi E on Hwy 22, couple miles past airport, as Pegleg Road curves east, fork left onto Henderson Canyon Road. Pile and monument is a few hundred yards on right. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.)

That area is a great place for boondocking Smoky. We were there with Jim & Pat after Qz. Just remember that it's dessert i.e. lots of sand.

Thanks Tom.? Where in relation to the monument is the boondocking area?? And why do you like it so much, what does it have going for it?

Smoky said:
Thanks Tom.  Where in relation to the monument is the boondocking area?

I'll let Jim respond to that one, since he knows the area much better than I.

And why do you like it so much, what does it have going for it?

"Great" might not have been the best choice of words in my earlier message. The state park is huge. There's plenty of room for boondocking (numerous areas), easy access to town, lots of flowers to photograph, plenty of places to go see, and lots of opportunities for off-roading. OTOH it's an off-road park, and all the kids with their noisy toys (we were there mid week, so missed the worst of the noise), and you get sand in every crevice of your coach, toad, and body. We're really not dessert folks. What made it great for us was Jim and Pat's wonderful company, and their knowledge of all the neat places to go.

We too spent some time in Anza Borrego with Jim and Pat and had a great time.  Even though it rained (a LOT) we enjoyed the stay and the weather kept the ATV crowd away.  We had the boondocking area pretty much to ourselves.

Smoky said:
Well dang, I guess I will have to check it out for myself this coming winter.? ?:D

Smoky,

The original "monument" is actually a large pile of rocks about 8 ft high.  IMHO it's not one of the best boondocking spots because the actual area to park around it is small, and very crowded in the winter months.  It's also on the main road and there is a lot of ATVers in the area revving up their two-stroke numbers.

You can boondock in several other areas of that state park that are further away from the "mainstream."  They are even shown in the park newsletter.

OK Jayne.  I like both noisy and quiet spots.  When it is noisy too long I search for quiet and vice versa.  Sounds like I can do both in that park! ;D

Smoky,

It's the bigest state park in the lower 48 and my favorite of all time. When I lived in El Centro, we often took our Class C out over my day  off with the boys and spent the night. You will love it. And between Terry, George Mullen and other framily members you can become a happy desert rat pretty quickly. [G]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom