Jayne's Checking In...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greeting, all.....

I know I've MIA in this forum.  :-[  I finally got some software problems squared away on my laptop.  I can finally get on the Internet while I travel!  Special thanks to Gary Brink for the commo help.

I was a fulltimer for about 6 years, first in a 30 ft fifth wheel, then in a 28ft travel trailer.  My travel style is boondocking/dry camping away from "civilization."  I travel with 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Due partly to both rising fuel costs and the growing closure of public lands, I bought 11 acres in west central NM mountains as a home base.  Now I travel in a cabover pickup camper and tow a small 4wd.

Been with this forum off and on for what seems to be about 7-8 years.  It is truly the best RV forum out here!

Jayne:

Nice to meet you!  I am new here and will begin fulltiming late May early June.  Just curious, did you put in any hookups on those 11 acres or is it all dry camping at your home base?

Smoky,

No hookups whatsoever!  :)  Solar power if you have it, haul water in, use the outhouse.  The road in is also impassable except by 4WD when it's wet.  There is, however, an RV park about 30 miles away.....

Ron said:
Hi Jayne,

Godd hearing from you.  Rising fuel cost will likely affect a lot of travel plans and habits.

Ron (and Sam)

Yep, $2.65 for regular here in Desert Hot Springs, CA.  Glad it's cheaper back home in NM.

Hi Jayne - glad to see you got connected OK and found the site.

Regular gas runs $2.08-$2.19 here in South Carolina, where we are currently camped.  The same in Georgia, so that's probably as "cheap" as it gets anywhere these days.

Ron said:
$2.40 in Richfield Ut today.? SUre hate to pay those prices but they kinda got over the barrel so to speak. :mad:

$2.16 in Slidell, LA today.  Never thought we'd think that was cheap

Wow Jayne!  That is REAL camping!

I am curious because when we go fulltiming we will be thinking of ways to save campground costs.  Owning a "home base" lot might be one way to go, but I am sure my admiral would insist on installing some hookups.  If I were traveling solo I would be more inclined to rough it.  I just count my blessings that she is willing to fulltime in any fashion at all.  :D

Smoky said:
Wow Jayne!  That is REAL camping!

I am curious because when we go fulltiming we will be thinking of ways to save campground costs.  Owning a "home base" lot might be one way to go, but I am sure my admiral would insist on installing some hookups.  If I were traveling solo I would be more inclined to rough it.  I just count my blessings that she is willing to fulltime in any fashion at all.  :D

Smoky,

Actually, just because one doesn't always need hookups doesn't mean you have to rough it.  If you have sufficient solar panels and batteries and an invertor to make 120v AC, or a generator, You can watch TV, use a hair dryer, vacuum, etc very easily. 

Hauling water in and waste out is relatively easy if you have a truck or toad to do it in.  There are a lot of tips and tricks for doing this.  Hang around this forum and you'll learn.

Campground costs are killer, even in many state parks.  For instance, full hookup sites in Anza Borrego State park here in CA are $30 a night!  Now, that's obscene....

Campground costs are killer, even in many state parks.  For instance, full hookup sites in Anza Borrego State park here in CA are $30 a night!  Now, that's obscene....

We stayed in the area caccross from Peg Leg monument and it was free.  I understand this area is in the middle but not included in the Ca state park.  I'm sure Terry B can confirm this.

Hello, My Friend . . .

Good to see you here, Jayne - and it was nice getting to share some time and a few apple fritters at QZ.

Yep, the gas and park prices have hit pretty hard. I'm currently parked on acreage in Penryn, CA (east of the Roseville/Loomis area - and gas is running around $2.46 (Sam's Club) to whatever they can get above that, especially the closer one gets to a freeway station. To spend over $100.00 a day to travel is not something I care to do right now. :mad:

However, one reason I continue to hang out in NCal is that I am close to Reno, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, THE wine country .. and the list goes on and on. Plus most of my close family live in the San Jose area. So my travels for awhile will be mostly in this area of the country.

If you get up this way on your way back to NM, be sure and let me know. Did you continue on from QZ west, or have you been back to NM since QZ?

Jayne  Welcome back!  I see you have crossed over to my side, We aren't yet fulltiming, but we have an 11.5 slide in on and F350, just traded my F250.  Wow, 11 acres, Jolene and I could come out and boondock and you wouldn't even see us!  Wait, do you have trees?  We have trees here. 

Tow a trailer with a motorcycle for now. 

Bill & Jolene

Ron said:

We stayed in the area caccross from Peg Leg monument and it was free.? I understand this area is in the middle but not included in the Ca state park.? I'm sure Terry B can confirm this.

Ron,

Yep, still free at Peg Legs, as well as many other primitive  camping areas in Anza Borregp state park.  Howeverf, PL's is too noisy for me (although I spent 4 days there this winter) because it's too close to the road.

Bob Buchanan said:
If you get up this way on your way back to NM, be sure and let me know. Did you continue on from QZ west, or have you been back to NM since QZ?

Bob,

Went west from QZ, and plan on being back in NM mid-May.  Hope to stop at Grand Canyon on the way. 

Thanks again for the hole saw.  It worked great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom