JEEP Owners- Rate Your Replacement Shock Absorbers (1-5 Star)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X-Roughneck Strike 3

I am researching Shock Absorbers brands and models for my 2013 Jeep, 4 Door, Wrangler Unlimited.

I am currently fishing for Opinions on what is a good Daily Driver Shock Absorber.

I know there are a lot of Mechanically minded Non Jeep Owner folks out here that are welcome to throw their $0.02 on the matter also.

The Shock choices seem overwhelming.

I am not an off road enthusiast, but want a shock that can ride smooth with capability to go off road and perform well occasionally. I am looking for a Good to High Quality Shock, but with Routine Daily / Highway performance key.

My Jeep has 45K on Odometer with another 10K hanging off the Tow Bar, (7yr, 55K).

The Handling feels like it is time to freshen things up a bit as the shocks are OEM off the assy line cheap.

I am going to tow it up to Ouray Colorado, Million Dollar Highway, from Durango Going North, this Summer with my normal Pack and Grandson. We will be leaving from Texas.

Couple months back I put a fresh set 255/70R17 set of 5 ea, 70,000 mile Tires and New Wheels on the Jeep. I kept it at the Factory 17” ride height.

I am not wanting to Lift it or do anything extravagant, just Keep it somewhat Stock looking.

I have read I want to purchase a Mono-Shock as most of my driving is asphalt.

I am looking at these Brands and Models below, but IDKS about shocks.

I do not like the exposed shaft of the Fox Brand, seems like there should be a Rubber Dust boot around it to keep the road juice and grime off it, but that is just me?

My Scenario: Daily Driver / Groceries/ Highway TOAD, with occasional Off Road Dirt excursion….

FOX 2.0 ADVENTURE SERIES

FOX 2.0 Adventure Series IFP (tirerack.com)

BILSTEIN 5100 SHOCKS

When I Look at the above Bilstein 5100 series I am unsure if they will fit as I do not see any available for OEM, Non Lifted vehicles. I would need to call and make sure they would fit.

I am hoping to stir up some replies.

Real world Performance, or opinions on Shocks Brands...

Anybody?

Attachments

• Before New Tires.jpg
    Before New Tires.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 6
  • New Wheel and tires x5.jpg
    New Wheel and tires x5.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6
No recommendations here, as I haven't changed the shocks on mine and it turned over 193000 miles yesterday, but for the best selection, check out Quadratec.com. Watch out, though, when you get on that site you can easily fall down the rabbit hole of Jeep accessories.

I put this lift kit on my 2017 JK ... this is just MHO ...

AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension System​

The stock shocks were shot and so were the tires, so I replaced them plus I went with a 2.5 inch lift. This brand‘s kit has springs that are tuned for on and off road surfaces. It uses Bilstein shocks. The ride was greatly improved as my DW with rods in her spine testified. I had a shop install it ... plus I replaced the 32 inch stock tires with 33 inch BF Goodrich tires. They fit on the same stock rims. I did this a year ago and over 10K miles. I have more confidence in taking on some rough roads. Still great ... so ... do your own research. I echo what others have warned about upgrading your Jeep in the candy store. You can empty your bank account if you’re not careful!

^^ I have the same setup on my JK. The Bilsteins included in the lift kit are very good. I've also had good luck with aftermarket Bilsteins on other vehicles, they just tend to make good stuff.

If the 5100 isn't available for a stock application, what about just a regular Bilstein? I think they make a 4600 model for stock applications.

Somebody asked this same question over on the Jeep forum I'm a member of. The overwhelming answer for a mostly street driven Wrangler was the Rancho RS5000X. I've already got a Rancho steering stabilizer, and when I get to my summer location in a week or two, I'll be ordering a set of these off of Amazon. They have a complete package of 4 for my TJ for around $200.

My Jeep is Factory at Factory specs on all suspension parts.

I went ahead and went with a Monroe Monoshock for overall descent performance road or trail. Ride is improved and think I made a good decision to go ahead and do it. I tested it on a road that I would not cut diamonds on in the back seat for sure.

I am not going to do alot of 4 Wheeling, climbing over crazy obstacles.

I went with the Monroe REFLEX MONOTUBE. I have a Firestone Dealer close to my house that seems like they have a pretty good hands on crew. I got the tires and wheels there a few months ago. The shocks have lifetime parts warranty.

JD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom