Jeep storage ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

So, we bought a 2006 Jeep wrangler tj with the Golden Eagle package a couple months ago, its our first Jeep and have been having a blast just zipping around in it. The GE package has a Dana 44 rear axle, 3.73 ratio's, 6cyl, cold AC, and a hard top. We won't be rock crawling or mudding around. The main reason we wanted one is to tow on trips, and to hunt out of. So it'll see mostly logging roads and skid trails, some snow. I'm thinking a 2" lift and 31" tires will give it a better look and more then enough off road clearance for us. The first trip to the Pheasant club we just piled every thing in it with the pup, not really what I want to do. My idea in my head is a concealed over head gun rack for a couple long guns, compartments for muddy boots, ammo, a small ice chest, rack to hang jackets and a small kennel for the dog. Any of you guys have done anything like this with your Jeep?,,,gregg

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
  • jeep loaded for bird hunting.jpg
    jeep loaded for bird hunting.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 78
Go to https://www.quadratec.com/ -- they have a huge selection of add-on stuff for Jeeps, and you may get some ideas there, perhaps even find what you'd like to have. They've been a good source for me.

might wanna look on the Jeep Forums for TJ customizations... there are thousands so choose carefully.  Also YouTube shows tons of videos explaining the same sorta stuff.  TJ's are very flexible and there are plenty going through "upgrades".

It's been busy around here and will be for awhile yet but I got my gun rack done working on it in between all the other projects I have going on. The goal was to have the shotguns out of sight and out of the way as much as possible. We belong to a Pheasant club and use the Jeep to hunt around the thousands of acres we have access to. Some days we go to the club just for the day instead of camping there for the weekend since its only 26 miles away. On those one day runs we like to stop at a Marina for lunch and a cocktail on the way home. With the guns locked up and out of sight, I'll feel better about stopping on the way home. The next phase will to build some type of a compartmental system to house the dog kennel and cubbies for ammo, ice chest and boots, hunting jackets, something similar others have done for camping gear. Here's the gun rack I made out of scrap Alum. I had in my scrap metel pile. It's hinged to swing down, it clamps to the roll ball with a simple clamping system, it takes like a minute and a half to install or remove. It's positioned behind the headrest and is high enough when closed I can still see out the rear view mirror. With the dark tinted windows, you'd never know there were guns locked up inside above. I very happy with how secure and solid it holds in place,,,gregg

Attachments

• gun rack 1.jpg
    gun rack 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 27
  • gun rack 2.jpg
    gun rack 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 27
  • gun rack 3.jpg
    gun rack 3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 25
  • gun rack 4.jpg
    gun rack 4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 22
  • gun rack 5.jpg
    gun rack 5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 24
I put an Electro-Loc in my '06 Jeep LJ for my Mini-14. It's the same locking mechanism we had in our patrol cars for rifles and shotguns. It's mounted horizontally beneath the right rear window, and it's got a hinged plastic cover so the rifle isn't visible. I can release the lock electrically with a switch up front, or with a barrel key if the ignition is off. The plastic cover has pouches inside for six 30 round magazines.

Kev

Attachments

• 3D18AFD9-CA53-447C-8B3D-AC0907B8405A.jpeg
    3D18AFD9-CA53-447C-8B3D-AC0907B8405A.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 56E26D57-03A5-445C-91DC-9EFFF084C50D.jpeg
    56E26D57-03A5-445C-91DC-9EFFF084C50D.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 30
I am a little late to the party. But I thought I would post my storage solution.

Now it is not for a Wrangler but it is kind of unique.

It is for my Jeep Commander.

I had the magicians at our manufacturing plant build me a custom lockable storage box to go where the third seat was.

It is made of welded aluminum and diamond plate and has about 2.000 square inches of storage space.  I carry all kinds of survival and retrieval gear including a winch that can mount on the custom front bumper or on the rear bumper.

It is covered in black carpet and the people that stole my Jeep years ago never even knew it was there.  When the police recovered it everything was intact.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• r008.jpg
    r008.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 25
  • r014.jpg
    r014.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 26
  • r016.jpg
    r016.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 25
  • r024.jpg
    r024.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 25
  • r121.jpg
    r121.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 25
  • r177.jpg
    r177.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 25
Dang!  I thought I carried a lot of crap in my Jeep.  Nice solution, Bill.
I lost all that kind of stuff when our Jeep was stolen, but the only thing the Jeep insurance wouldn't cover was my tools. 
They said my homeowner's(same company)would cover the tools, and it did, however only 80% of the value.  Also, I had a $500 deductable.  I used a Snap-On catalog and price list to inventory the tools I had lost and it only came up to $800.  Wasn't worth filing the claim.
They did pay for the Jeep's paint job, because I had pics of how it looked before it was stolen and they could see the paint was brand new before those crack heads sprayed flat black spray cans all over it.

Kevin Means said:
I put an Electro-Loc in my '06 Jeep LJ for my Mini-14. It's the same locking mechanism we had in our patrol cars for rifles and shotguns. It's mounted horizontally beneath the right rear window, and it's got a hinged plastic cover so the rifle isn't visible. I can release the lock electrically with a switch up front, or with a barrel key if the ignition is off. The plastic cover has pouches inside for six 30 round magazines.

Kev
I was hoping to fab up something like you have, but shotguns for Duck hunting are way longer then rifles. I needed 50" in length for the longest shotgun in my arsenal so the doors would of been partially blocked. These TJ's are short, your LJ wheelbase is 10" longer,,,gregg

The only storage I have inside is this https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215429.html. Purchased it just so things won't slide when the track is a little steep. what I would want is a mini storage like a coleman style at the back row that wouldn't move so I won't hear any noise.

I have an overhead gun rack installed on my Jeep. I haven't had taken pics but for reference, I read this article truck gun rack buyer's guide https://car-parts-home.com/truck-gun-racks/. This is where I was able to choose before buying one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom